The awe-inspiring rise of Cathy Hughes, 65, the legendary Founder and Chairperson of Radio One (which owns TV One and Interactive One, parent company of NewsOne.com), was highlighted Saturday on Fox News program, “America’s News Headquarters.”
During an installment of “Beyond the Dream,” Hughes was recognized as being a ”trailblazer” who entered a new frontier for women of color when she became the first to chair a publicly traded company in the United States.
“I love radio,” Hughes said. “Radio is to me what basketball is to Michael Jordan. He once said that he couldn’t believe that anyone is going to pay him to go to the hoop. I couldn’t believe that anyone was going to pay me to live my dream.
“I’ve wanted to be in radio since I was 8-years-old and my mother bought me a transmitter radio,” the media pioneer continued. ”Growing up in Omaha, Nebraska, I was an expert on Willie Nelson, Conway Twitty, all — what they would call them back then — Country & Western music stars. When I got my radio, for the first time, I heard Black disc-jockeys. Well, turns out that Wolfman Jack was not Black because they did not allow Black men on the radio back then.”
Hughes goes on to discuss the experience that instantly transformed her life, causing her to focus as she had never done before:
“I was 16-years-old when I got pregnant with my son,” shares Hughes. “Which is why I say, ‘My biggest accomplishment is, I figured it out.’ He and I were both destined to be statistics.”
Hughes’ son, Alfred Liggins, now 48-years-old, has been with his mother every step of the way and serves as Chief Executive Officer and President of Radio One.
“It was my son’s idea to diversify,” Hughes said in a 2012 interview with Huff Post Small Business. “When he got his MBA from Wharton, he said, ‘We’re not going to be a mom and son operation anymore. We’re going public.’ This all started from being a family, and even as a public corporation, we operate as a family business. Too much of American industry is focused on the bottom line and not enough is focused on the front lines.”
Speaking to “America’s News Headquarters’” co-host and White House correspondent, Kelly Wright, Hughes said that “faith in God, hard work and perseverance” made it possible for her to achieve her goals. But success didn’t happen overnight:
“Thirty-two times I was turned down, until I ran across a woman banker who said, ‘Yes.’ And I kept giving my presentation and she said, ‘Don’t sell past the close; I’m going to give you a million dollars.’ I couldn’t believe it.
Though Hughes has been wildly successful by even the most conservative estimates, she’s far from finished building her empire:
We reach 82 percent of all of Black America each and every week; I want to reach 100 percent,” Hughes said with a determined twinkle in her eyes. “I want to be to the Black experience what Univision is to the Hispanic/Latino experience.
With her indomitable spirit, and son Alfred by her side, we have no doubt that Cathy Hughes will accomplish just that.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Cathy Hughes: Fox News Spotlights Legendary Radio One Founder