The awe-inspiring rise of Cathy Hughes, 65, the legendary Founder and Chairperson of Radio One (which owns TV One and Interactive One, parent company of NewsOne.com), was highlighted Saturday on Fox News program, “America’s News Headquarters.”
During an installment of “Beyond the Dream,” Hughes was recognized as being a ”trailblazer” who entered a new frontier for women of color when she became the first to chair a publicly traded company in the United States.
“I love radio,” Hughes said. “Radio is to me what basketball is to Michael Jordan. He once said that he couldn’t believe that anyone is going to pay him to go to the hoop. I couldn’t believe that anyone was going to pay me to live my dream.
“I’ve wanted to be in radio since I was 8-years-old and my mother bought me a transmitter radio,” the media pioneer continued. ”Growing up in Omaha, Nebraska, I was an expert on Willie Nelson, Conway Twitty, all — what they would call them back then — Country & Western music stars. When I got my radio, for the first time, I heard Black disc-jockeys. Well, turns out that Wolfman Jack was not Black because they did not allow Black men on the radio back then.”
Hughes goes on to discuss the experience that instantly transformed her life, causing her to focus as she had never done before:
“I was 16-years-old when I got pregnant with my son,” shares Hughes. “Which is why I say, ‘My biggest accomplishment is, I figured it out.’ He and I were both destined to be statistics.”
Hughes’ son, Alfred Liggins, now 48-years-old, has been with his mother every step of the way and serves as Chief Executive Officer and President of Radio One.
“It was my son’s idea to diversify,” Hughes said in a 2012 interview with Huff Post Small Business. “When he got his MBA from Wharton, he said, ‘We’re not going to be a mom and son operation anymore. We’re going public.’ This all started from being a family, and even as a public corporation, we operate as a family business. Too much of American industry is focused on the bottom line and not enough is focused on the front lines.”
Speaking to “America’s News Headquarters’” co-host and White House correspondent, Kelly Wright, Hughes said that “faith in God, hard work and perseverance” made it possible for her to achieve her goals. But success didn’t happen overnight:
“Thirty-two times I was turned down, until I ran across a woman banker who said, ‘Yes.’ And I kept giving my presentation and she said, ‘Don’t sell past the close; I’m going to give you a million dollars.’ I couldn’t believe it.
Though Hughes has been wildly successful by even the most conservative estimates, she’s far from finished building her empire:
We reach 82 percent of all of Black America each and every week; I want to reach 100 percent,” Hughes said with a determined twinkle in her eyes. “I want to be to the Black experience what Univision is to the Hispanic/Latino experience.
With her indomitable spirit, and son Alfred by her side, we have no doubt that Cathy Hughes will accomplish just that.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Cathy Hughes: Fox News Spotlights Legendary Radio One Founder