The awe-inspiring rise of Cathy Hughes, 65, the legendary Founder and Chairperson of Radio One (which owns TV One and Interactive One, parent company of NewsOne.com), was highlighted Saturday on Fox News program, “America’s News Headquarters.”
During an installment of “Beyond the Dream,” Hughes was recognized as being a ”trailblazer” who entered a new frontier for women of color when she became the first to chair a publicly traded company in the United States.
“I love radio,” Hughes said. “Radio is to me what basketball is to Michael Jordan. He once said that he couldn’t believe that anyone is going to pay him to go to the hoop. I couldn’t believe that anyone was going to pay me to live my dream.
“I’ve wanted to be in radio since I was 8-years-old and my mother bought me a transmitter radio,” the media pioneer continued. ”Growing up in Omaha, Nebraska, I was an expert on Willie Nelson, Conway Twitty, all — what they would call them back then — Country & Western music stars. When I got my radio, for the first time, I heard Black disc-jockeys. Well, turns out that Wolfman Jack was not Black because they did not allow Black men on the radio back then.”
Hughes goes on to discuss the experience that instantly transformed her life, causing her to focus as she had never done before:
“I was 16-years-old when I got pregnant with my son,” shares Hughes. “Which is why I say, ‘My biggest accomplishment is, I figured it out.’ He and I were both destined to be statistics.”
Hughes’ son, Alfred Liggins, now 48-years-old, has been with his mother every step of the way and serves as Chief Executive Officer and President of Radio One.
“It was my son’s idea to diversify,” Hughes said in a 2012 interview with Huff Post Small Business. “When he got his MBA from Wharton, he said, ‘We’re not going to be a mom and son operation anymore. We’re going public.’ This all started from being a family, and even as a public corporation, we operate as a family business. Too much of American industry is focused on the bottom line and not enough is focused on the front lines.”
Speaking to “America’s News Headquarters’” co-host and White House correspondent, Kelly Wright, Hughes said that “faith in God, hard work and perseverance” made it possible for her to achieve her goals. But success didn’t happen overnight:
“Thirty-two times I was turned down, until I ran across a woman banker who said, ‘Yes.’ And I kept giving my presentation and she said, ‘Don’t sell past the close; I’m going to give you a million dollars.’ I couldn’t believe it.
Though Hughes has been wildly successful by even the most conservative estimates, she’s far from finished building her empire:
We reach 82 percent of all of Black America each and every week; I want to reach 100 percent,” Hughes said with a determined twinkle in her eyes. “I want to be to the Black experience what Univision is to the Hispanic/Latino experience.
With her indomitable spirit, and son Alfred by her side, we have no doubt that Cathy Hughes will accomplish just that.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Cathy Hughes: Fox News Spotlights Legendary Radio One Founder