Students in one rural Kentucky county are up in arms about the National School Lunch Program‘s healthy lunchtime offerings that are being touted by First Lady Michelle Obama (pictured). At a Harlan County public schools board meeting held last week, the general consensus held by students in the district is that the meals ”taste like vomit,” reports The Daily Caller.
Mrs. Obama has been a staunch proponent of healthy food in schools, which was implemented under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010″ and took effect last fall. Harlan County school board members contend that students have reportedly complained about the meals, claiming that they are starving at lunchtime and for the remainder of the school day because not only does the food taste bad but the available portions are miserly.
Parents who attended the meeting reportedly complained that “kids can’t learn when they’re hungry!” While board members like Myra Mosley reportedly blurted out, “They say it tastes like vomit,” with regards to the nutrition-packed meals.
Some other gripes that were brought up about the meals surrounded the bread, which is whole wheat, and the milk. which is either skim or 1 percent fat. The other chocolate and strawberry milk offerings in the school’s cafeterias are also reportedly non-fat, which also seems to be unpopular with the youth.
According to the guidelines of the National School Lunch Program, academic institutions that chose to participate in the program will receive a six-figure subsidy. Nationally, about 31 million students participated in the guidelines that took effect last fall under the 2010 Act.
The array of healthier food options are offered to students for free or reduced-prices. The stricter school lunch standards designed to help combat the childhood obesity epidemic, however, is reportedly becoming increasingly unpopular among some schools throughout the country, so some districts are considering severing ties with the program.
In fact, the School Nutrition Association found that 1 percent of 521 district nutrition directors surveyed over the summer planned to drop out of the program in the 2013-14 school year and 3.3 percent were considering putting the kibosh on the effort.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Ky. Students: They’d Rather Starve Than Eat First Lady’s ‘Vomit-Tasting’ Lunches