In case you’re wondering, Brandy is not mad about the recent events in South Africa. She acknowledges that reports she performed for a small crowd at a stadium there during a recent event are true, but says it’s just a part of being an entertainer.
“South Africa was interesting,” she told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “It was a last minute thing. A few of my friends that I’ve done business with before seemed like they were in a bind and called me. I don’t think they really though that I was going to be on the flight so they didn’t promote that I was going to be there.
So it turned out the way it did. But the most important thing was that I was there for a celebration of Nelson Mandela and he opened up a children’s hospital there and I was there for that. My reason for being there was for a good reason. I performed for whoever knew or whoever didn’t know. They knew when I got on stage and I think everybody knows now that I went to South Africa,” she laughs. “Things like that happen sometimes, but it’s how you take things. You have to take things in stride and keep it pushing.”
Brandy expects to see more people for her upcoming performances. She’s being honored for her support of the LGBT community during Atlanta’s annual Black Pride festival and is performing at Chicago’s African Pride Festival and at MegaFest 2013 this weekend in Dallas.
Brandy returns to “The Game” next season on BET in 2014. The new season is currently shooting in Atlanta. Brandy says she enjoys her second stint on episodic television after playing a completely different character on “Moesha.”
“I love Chardonnay,” she says. “Chardonnay is my alter ego. She is definitely a part of me. I will definitely go into that tone if need be.”
Brandy admits that her fiancée, music publisher Ryan Press, could be on the receiving end of that tone once in awhile. They met at a recording studio, but Brandy says she’s happy he works behind the scenes.
The couple plan to get married next year, but haven’t set a date yet.
For Brandy’s upcoming performances and updates on her career, head to her official website.
“I’m trying to map out all the wedding stuff. I didn’t realize how hard it was to plan a wedding even with a wedding planner.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25