It has been confirmed that rapper Juicy J (Three 6 Mafia) is offering a $50K scholarship to the winner of a twerkin’ contest.
Fifty thousand big ones will be handed over to the best, ugh, “twerker” and as you may have guessed, this is not going over too well with what we think may turn out to be many of the female persuasion.
Seeka tha Teacha, head of the Hip Hop Liberation Army along with colleagues Abena Afreeka and Sis Tricey are too pissed off and are calling for a boycott of the rapper’s CD. Appearing on the weekly rap program, “Militant Minded Radio,” they presented a lively discussion on this display of what can be called a byproduct of misogynistic thinking. We ask for your forgiveness in advance as the speaker’s did not identify themselves so we had to play a guessing game.
“There’s no honor in getting a scholarship for shaking your behind….I think its degrading,” says one of the women we think may be Seeka Tha Teacha, a mother. “Why would you want to get a scholarship for that when there’s a lot of intelligent women out here who use their brain. Why don’t you give them some money,” she continues, adding that she would never want her daughter doing anything like that.
“I know Juicy J [is] probably sittin’ back laughing at all the women that’s gonna come and shake they ass for this money. It’s all a game,” she continues.
“I think that this contest is only symptomatic, and that any discussion about this that ignores the larger picture of the systematic sexploitation, objectification of Black women is basically an incomplete discussion,” says Sis Tricey. She equates Juicy J to someone who is “embracing that cooning buck,” a brother who will promote “the exploitation of himself, his sisters and brothers” for money.
“You can think of the situation…when the 12-year-old sits up and tells his math teacher, ‘I make more in a day then you make in a whole year,” she concludes.
And apparently, the scholarship is only the beginning; a CD is set to follow.
“Is this going to be a trend?” Sis Tricey suggests adding a truly frightening scenario. “Are we going to have more rappers throwing in and saying ‘hey, we’re doing some positive things for the school.’ How many sisters will even want to continue to go to school once they get a taste of that.”
Abeena Afreeka states, ”As women, for starters, I believe it is imperative for us to come out in strong opposition to the CD, to the message, and begin to actively get in the ears of our young sisteren.” She invites not only women, but men as well, to join in with this support against the degradation of Black women; by boycotting the Juicy J CD and the message behind it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31