Singer Kelly Price has always struggled despite her enormous vocal talent because of her weight. Even after losing over 100 pounds some years ago, her success has been limited by perceptions about her size. Now the reigning diva on “R&B Divas L.A.,” Price wants to use her newfound reality TV platform to help other overweight-by-Hollywood standards talent get discovered. She is now casting for a new reality series “Too Fat for Fame.”
“I’m really excited about it. I’ve always and to talk about my weight in this industry no matter what it always comes up,” Price told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Too Fat for Fame” is a reality platform that’s going to be giving plus-size people an opportunity through various challenges to make their way to their own platform. “There are a lot of singers and dancers, actors and actresses, models and television personalities all around who can’t get a yes because they’re plus-sized. So the first prerequisite of the show is that you’ve got to be plus sized but you’ve got to be really talented, too.”
Price is not just looking for singers. She is interesting in seeing anyone who is overweight and looking to showcase their talents. Her aim with this show is to find people whose talent transcends the notion that being plus-sized means a Hollywood career is out of reach, and she’s looking to cast men or women who fit the bill.
“I guess anything that the industry would consider too big, which is almost everybody if you’re not like spaghetti-thin. In my eyes, I kind of know what they look at and say is acceptable and what’s not acceptable.
These are people who are extremely talented and cannot get a foot in the door or get a yes because of their weight.”
As for her role on “R&B Divas L.A.” which is already as successful as it’s original Atlanta version, Price diplomatically says there’s no one diva that overshadows the others (Sybil disagrees, outing Chante Moore as the show’s top diva so far.) When asked if she would vote anyone off the diva island, Price says not yet.
“I don’t think we get to vote. If we could, there might not be anybody left on the show. Truthfully, we all are [divas]. It’s getting interesting and we all get to watch it roll out. I watched with my jaw on the floor last night.”
For “Too Fat for Fame” casting info, click here.
To watch full episodes of “R&B Divas: L.A.” click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25