Singer Kelly Price has always struggled despite her enormous vocal talent because of her weight. Even after losing over 100 pounds some years ago, her success has been limited by perceptions about her size. Now the reigning diva on “R&B Divas L.A.,” Price wants to use her newfound reality TV platform to help other overweight-by-Hollywood standards talent get discovered. She is now casting for a new reality series “Too Fat for Fame.”
“I’m really excited about it. I’ve always and to talk about my weight in this industry no matter what it always comes up,” Price told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Too Fat for Fame” is a reality platform that’s going to be giving plus-size people an opportunity through various challenges to make their way to their own platform. “There are a lot of singers and dancers, actors and actresses, models and television personalities all around who can’t get a yes because they’re plus-sized. So the first prerequisite of the show is that you’ve got to be plus sized but you’ve got to be really talented, too.”
Price is not just looking for singers. She is interesting in seeing anyone who is overweight and looking to showcase their talents. Her aim with this show is to find people whose talent transcends the notion that being plus-sized means a Hollywood career is out of reach, and she’s looking to cast men or women who fit the bill.
“I guess anything that the industry would consider too big, which is almost everybody if you’re not like spaghetti-thin. In my eyes, I kind of know what they look at and say is acceptable and what’s not acceptable.
These are people who are extremely talented and cannot get a foot in the door or get a yes because of their weight.”
As for her role on “R&B Divas L.A.” which is already as successful as it’s original Atlanta version, Price diplomatically says there’s no one diva that overshadows the others (Sybil disagrees, outing Chante Moore as the show’s top diva so far.) When asked if she would vote anyone off the diva island, Price says not yet.
“I don’t think we get to vote. If we could, there might not be anybody left on the show. Truthfully, we all are [divas]. It’s getting interesting and we all get to watch it roll out. I watched with my jaw on the floor last night.”
For “Too Fat for Fame” casting info, click here.
To watch full episodes of “R&B Divas: L.A.” click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30