After 13 NBA seasons, Jalen Rose wanted to use his celebrity, considerable income from the NBA and his commitment to helping youth to uplift his hometown of Detroit. To that end, the former baller, now an NBA analyst for ESPN co-founded a charter school, the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy in Detroit.
It opened in 2011, with an initial enrollment of 120 ninth graders, it is tuition-free and partnered with the University of Detroit Mercy. The Jalen Rose Leadership Academy features an extended school day and a longer school year.
“We’re committed to give a quality public education to young men and young women whose families can’t afford for them to go to private school or even move to communities where the schools get more funding,” Rose told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “For example, if you live in West Bloomfield, a student in public education gets over 10,000 per.
In Detroit, it’s $7200 per. Do the math. That’s why we don’t have the state of the art facilities I’m trying to establish and that’s why we have an inequity with those that are trying to compete with their counterparts in the suburbs. “
Rose says that although he’s contributed personally to the school, along with his Jalen Rose Foundation, which has helped 40 kids to go to college, he still needs help. At his alma mater, the University of Michigan, his scholarship endowment has sent 3 kids to college. He says his charter school has committed parents and students, 95% of whom attend school everyday. But of course, finances are always an issue and Rose says he needs $5 million to truly establish a state of the art facility.
“The only way to turn around the fortunes of our young men and young women is through education, especially when 40% don’t graduate these days. Public education shouldn’t only be defined by your area code or zip code. I’m fortunate enough that I’ve had the success you describe and my kid can go to a private school. I went to public school growing up.“
Rose has also worked with American Federation for Children which assists parents with getting into charter schools or getting vouchers for them. Charter schools are not funded by the state for their facility, so Rose faces a shortfall with establishing his school as one of the top schools in the area.
“How does a University of Michigan get its funding? From donors or tuition,” Rose says. “If you have a student base that can’t pay that, that’s where it’s important for you to fundraise and that’s one of the things that’s never in the conversation. We need to level the playing field for low-income families. A lot of them use charter schools or vouchers to attend the quality public or private schools of their choice. This one-size fits all education is a thing of the past.”
For more information and to donate to the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31