CHICAGO (AP) — Vincent Richardson of Chicago, who as a 14-year-old fooled a station full of police officers into letting drive a squad car, is now accused of trying to pass himself off as an officer to buy police clothing, equipment and even a badge.
Vincent Richardson, now 19, appeared in court Thursday on a felony charge of impersonating a peace officer, and was allowed to be released from custody on his promise to appear in court Aug. 15. Richardson didn’t enter a plea; a $25,000 I-bond was issued, which he will owe if he doesn’t make his court appearances.
Richardson was arrested Tuesday afternoon after he went to a Chicago police uniform store — dressed in what looked like police-issue cargo pants and a white shirt — and tried to buy other uniform items, including a nylon utility belt, cargo pants and cargo shorts.
Richardson told the store employee he was an officer, assigned to the 7th District on the city’s South Side, Assistant State’s Attorney Erin Antonietti said Thursday. But before the purchase could be made, and for a reason Antonietti didn’t explain, Richardson walked out of the store without the merchandise — or his ID.
A store employee did some investigating: “He Googled the defendant’s name,” Antonietti told the judge.
What the employee read unfolded on Jan. 24, 2009, when Richardson walked into a station on the city’s South Side, dressed head-to-toe in a police uniform. He was convincing enough that he was issued a radio, assigned a squad car and told to hit the streets with another officer.
Richardson spent about five hours on patrol — two behind the wheel of the police cruiser — and even helped arrest a suspect who allegedly violated a protection order.
“He brought the arm into the middle of his back so handcuffs could be placed on him,” former Chicago police superintendent Jody Weis said at the time.
It wasn’t until Richardson returned to the station that his ruse was discovered by a supervisor who noticed that not only was he not wearing a complete uniform, but he also wasn’t carrying a gun.
Richardson was dubbed “Kid Cop,” but the police department received the bulk of the media’s attention, with a livid then-Mayor Richard Daley and Weis wondering how a 14-year-old boy who didn’t even have a driver’s license could pass himself off as a police officer. Several CPD officers were disciplined, and several more were given a refresher course in recognizing police impersonators.
Some months later, Richardson again passed himself off as an adult, this time at a car dealership where he test-drove a Lexus and kept on going.
The state’s attorney’s office said a judge placed Richardson on juvenile probation for both the impersonating a police officer charge and possession of a stolen vehicle charge.
He has been in trouble at least twice since then, sentenced once to juvenile jail for stealing his uncle’s car and then a year in prison when as an adult he was convicted of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
The uniform store employee read enough of Richardson’s story to pick up the phone and call police. When Richardson returned later Tuesday, real officers were waiting to arrest him.
During their search of Richardson’s belongings, officers determined that the store was not the only place where Richardson was allegedly shopping for police gear.
According to Antonietti, officers discovered Richardson was carrying a receipt for a Chicago police badge and badge holder that had been purchased online.
Richardson was represented by a deputy public defender, who told the judge that Richardson is a high-school graduate who is attending college and working at a security company.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30