In a gripping story of war and courage, Ensign Jesse L. Brown, the U.S. Navy’s first black pilot, died when his plane’s fuel line took a bullet. It was December 4, 1950. His partner, a white pilot named Thomas Hudner, crash-landed his own plane to try and save his wingman. His efforts were lost. Brown told his friend to deliver a message of love to his wife Daisy and he perished with his Corsair plane in North Korea.
Jesse Leroy Brown was born in Hattiesburg, MS. At the age of six when he attended his first air show, Brown knew he wanted to be a pilot. After attending Naval training in Ohio State University, Brown’s photo was featured in the 1948 issue of Life Magazine as the first black pilot in the U.S. Navy. While Brown had experienced racial prejudice during training, he was accepted among most of his fellow officers. While attending flight school, Brown married his love, Daisy, which was forbidden for the pilots during training. They kept their marriage a secret.
After being called to the Korean war, Brown’s plane was sent to protect the 8,000 marines who were trapped near the Yalu River. During the mission, Brown’s fuel line was hit and he was forced to crash into the side of a snow-covered mountain. He was trapped in the cockpit. Brown died while Hudner tried to comfort him and keep him warm with a hat and gloves.
Thomas Hudner was forbidden to return to the site where Brown’s plane went down. The other officers made the decision to hit the crash site with Napalm bombs so the Chinese wouldn’t find Brown’s aircraft. As they dropped bombs over the area, the Lord’s Prayer was said over the radio. Now, 60 years later, Hudner will return to North Korea to help bring his friend’s remains home.
As a result of his heroism, Navy officer Thomas Hudner was awarded a Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman. Then On March 18, 1972, the U.S. Navy christened the USS Jesse L. Brown. It was the first Naval Ship named after an African American.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25