Although African Americans make up just 13 percent of the U.S. population, we account for 33 percent of the missing in the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s database. Cases involving African Americans also tend to receive less media coverage than missing Whites, with missing men of color getting even less attention.
To be a part of the solution, NewsOne will profile a missing person weekly and provide tips about how to keep your loved ones safe and what to do if someone goes missing, while TV One‘s newest show, “Find Our Missing,” hosted by award-winning actress S. Epatha Merkerson, tells these stories in visual form.
Case Type: Endangered
Date of Birth: January 1, 2007
Missing Date: July 13, 2013
Age Now: 6
Missing City: Harvey
Missing State: Louisiana
Hair Color: Black
Hair Length: Shoulder Length
Eye Color: Brown
Wear Glasses or Contacts: No
Location Last Seen: The girl’s mother said she went to bed Friday at about 11 p.m. at her apartment in the 2900 block of Destrehan Avenue, and when she awoke at 9 a.m., the girl, identified as Ahlittia North, was gone.
Circumstances of Disappearance: When Ahlittia’s mother reportedly awoke, her front door was open. Sheriff’s spokesman Col. John Fortunato said there was no sign of forced entry. Several of the child’s personal items were also missing. Police are now using all-terrain vehicles to search the woods behind the child’s house. They are also going door-to-door in order to question neighbors. Relatives and neighbors have also begun handing out fliers.
“We’ve been looking everywhere but we can’t find her,” said the girl’s aunt Janet Barnett.
Ahlittia’s stepfather said he and the girl’s mother took steps to secure their home before going to bed that night. “The door was unlocked. But I know I locked the door, the burglar bars and the regular door,” said Albert Hill.
Police are unsure what happened.
“We don’t have any reason to suspect foul play but we are not ruling out the possibility, because obviously, a 6-year-old child doesn’t just up and wander out of their home,” Fortunato told WDSU 6. The girl’s mother, stepfather, and biological Father have all been interviewed to help with the search.
Police have no suspects and no leads.
“It concerns us greatly that we haven’t even received one tip,” said Fortunato.
Michael Carter Jr., told The Advocate that the area was not safe as he helped to hand out fliers Saturday.
“There is lots of crime and plenty of killings; every day there is violence,” Carter said, adding that he frequently receives notices about sex offenders living in the area.
Barnett said the family is begging for the public’s help.
“I’m hoping nothing didn’t [sic] happen to her. If somebody has her, please bring her back,” said Barnett.
Last Seen Wearing: A gray tank top with pink pajama pants.
Identifying Marks or Characteristics: Ahlittia has braided, shoulder-length hair. “She’s loud, she likes to talk, she’s very playful; she’s very friendly,” says Janice Barnett, Ahlittia’s aunt.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Ahlittia North should contact JPSO Missing Persons Bureau at (504) 364.5300 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111 or toll-free at (877) 903-7867. Tips also can be texted to Crimestoppers at C-R-I-M-E-S (274637); text TELLCS. You may also contact the Black and Missing Foundation’s confidential Tip Line.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading 6-Year-Old Louisiana Girl Disappears From Bedroom Overnight