Is $1,500 the most you should pay for a loan modification? Is $3,000 reasonable to save your home from foreclosure? The most you should pay for a loan modification or to save your home from foreclosure is $0 – nothing.This answer may surprise you. If your mortgage is late, you should work with your lender or a HUD-approved counseling agency for free.
Did you know asking homeowners to pay for a loan modification or to stop a foreclosure is still the biggest sign of a scam?Yet thousands1of homeowners get scammed every year. It’sactually illegalfor a company or individual to ask you to paymoney before you have a written offer from your lender approving the loan modification or halting the foreclosure.It’s called the Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) rule, administered by the Federal Trade Commission. More scam signs can be found at www.loanscamalert.org.
So if you’re struggling to pay your mortgage each month or you’re already getting delinquency notices, what should you do?Here are the top things you should do to stay in your home and avoid scams:
1. Contact your lender as soon as you get concerned about paying your mortgage.
2. Determine your options by speaking to your lender’s loss mitigation department.
3. Be patient but persistent with your lender, because getting a loan modification takes time.
4. Call the Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) to speak with a trained counselor 24 hours a day or to find a local HUD-approved counseling agency to talk to a counselor in person.
5. Avoid anyone who asks for a fee prior to providing any loan modification service, including companies, individuals and even some lawyers.
6. Avoid anyone who guarantees to get your loan modified or stop a foreclosure, because nobody has the power to make this promise.
7. Avoid companies that tell you to stop paying your mortgage and to pay them instead. This is a sure sign of a scam.
8. Report loan modification or foreclosure scams at any time by visiting www.LoanScamAlert.org or calling 1-888-995-HOPE (4673).
For more information related to loan modification and foreclosure scams, visit www.LoanScamAlert.org. Join us on Twitter at twitter.com/loanscamalert and like us on Facebook at facebook.com/loanscamalert.
Representatives from NeighborWorks® America have been educating homeowners about the warning signs of loan modification scams, a wave of fraudulent activity connected to the foreclosure crisis. The effort is an extension of Loan Modification Scam Alert, a national public education campaign to help homeowners protect themselves against loan modification scams, find trusted help and report illegal activity to authorities. The campaign brings together NeighborWorks® America, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD),the Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. Department of the Treasury and other government and non-profit partners including 235 community-based affiliates.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31