After Elliott Earl Williams was arrested in Owasso, Okla., in connection to a disturbance at a hotel in October of 2011, he was taken to the Tulsa County Jail where he would later die in the most tragic of circumstances, the Tulsa World reports. In a video of his final days inside the Tulsa County Jail that was released last week, Williams is shown lying naked on a blanket inside of a cell.
According to an Owasso police report, “It was readily apparent that the suspect was having a mental breakdown. The suspect was rambling on about God, eating dirt.” Numerous publications report that Williams suffered from mental illness, but it is unclear exactly which one.
The ten-minute video shows Williams, 37, being dragged into a medical cell on a blanket at 8:27 a.m. Oct. 25. It ends on Oct. 27, with jail staff first checking the bottoms of Williams’ feet for a response around 8:41 a.m. and returning at 11:04 a.m. to do CPR on him. Williams was eventually pronounced dead after Tulsa firefighters failed to resuscitate him.
Watch video of Elliot Earl Williams’ Jail Death Below:
Here is more from the Tulsa World:
Between the time he was placed in the cell and the time he died, jail personnel gave him one cup of water – placed at his feet minutes after he was put in the cell but initially out of his reach – and what appear to be two servings of food – each tossed to the floor on Oct. 25, according to the video.
Just hours before his death, what appears to be another meal was pushed through the slot in the cell door.
Undersheriff Tim Albin on Monday called the death an “unfortunate” incident and said he would not comment because the case is being litigated.
“We’re looking forward to defending the case in court,” he said.
Attorney Guy Fortney, who is representing the Sheriff’s Office in the lawsuit, has said previously that the Tulsa Jail is one of the best in the country and accused the Williams estate’s attorneys, Daniel Smolen and Louis Bullock, of attempting to try the case in the court of public opinion.
The video made public Monday was one of several documents that were part of a motion filed by Smolen asking the court to compel the jail’s health-care provider to provide documents and testimony relevant to the company’s financial condition.
Among the documents Smolen attached to the motion was an executive summary of the circumstances surrounding Williams’ death, prepared by the Sheriff’s Office.
According to the summary, written by Cpl. Billy McKelvey, Williams rammed his head into the door of his holding cell shortly after he arrived at the jail in the early hours of Oct. 22.
When found by detention officers, he complained that he had “broke his neck,” the report says.
It goes on to say that Williams was left untreated in his holding cell for 10 1/2 hours and defecated on himself.
Sheriff Stanley Glanz, healthcare facilitators, and other jail workers are facing a lawsuit from Williams’ estate that alleges a lack of mental and physical care for an inmate caused his death. Major Shannon Clark told ABC affiliate Tulsa 8 that inmates are often evaluated before booked into housing, though staff is not always aware of any mental health issues initially.
“Obviously, the death was a very unfortunate situation at the jail. On the advice of our counsel, because it is active litigation, we can’t comment on it, but we are actively looking forward to defending this in court,” Clark said.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Okla. Jail Under Fire After Mentally-Ill Inmate Dies In Jail Cell