(L) Evita Robinson of Nomadness TV (R) Kimberly Bryant of BlackGirlsCode
Evita Robinson and Kimberly Bryant are no strangers to crowd-funding. In fact, it’s safe to call them experts.
In 2011, Robinson turned her love for travel and cinematography into a bourgeoning brand by creating the Nomadness Travel Tribe, an online community for travelers around the world. These days, Robinson and her “tribe,” as she refers to her members, can follow her travel adventures on her Nomadness TV web series, which she funded, and continues to do so, through crowdfunding. Kimberly Bryant found the same success when crowd-funding her project BlackGirlsCode, an organization dedicated to introducing coding and technology to young black girls through hands-on programs.
On Saturday, June 22, 2013, Robinson and Bryant led an inspiring panel at the Blogging While Brown Conference, held in New York City, discussing how to utilize crowdfunding tools to get your project off the ground. The female business owners encouraged audience members to be courageous when asking people to assist them with their personal projects, something they believe many black entrepreneurs find a difficult time doing.
Founder Gina McCauley Talks About This Year’s “Blogging While Brown” Conference Below:
“As people of color we need to get over asking people for things,” Evita Robinson told the crowd. “Stop looking at it as asking for money and look at it as an investment.” Bryant stressed that as long as you have a legitimate cause you believe in, the money and supporters should follow. “Movements are created on narratives, so it’s important to make sure your story comes out in the campaign,” said Bryant. “People give to people, not causes.”
Despite the on-going success the ladies have received from crowdfunding, they admit that often times it’s not enough. ”As you’re building your campaign, you should do a lot of offline funding as well,” said Bryant. “It’s hard to raise large sums of money on just social media.” Even with an online community of 4,000 members, Robinson isn’t shy about cold calling or cold emailing in order to expand her sponsorship opportunities.
Keynote by Markus Robinson of InteractiveOne Below:
As in any business, it’s important to get support when spearheading a crowd-funding project. Bryant recommends creating a team before jumping into a campaign, someone other than you that can assist with getting the message out. If people believe in your cause enough to donate, then there’ll be people willing to help you spread the word.
So, what happens when you’ve succeeded in raising your total amount needed to start your project? Robinson believes it’s quite simple: “Do exactly what the hell you said you were going to do. That is your only responsibility from that point on.” With three successful crowdfunding projects under her belt, it’s safe to say she knows what she’s talking about.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.