Reverend Al Sharpton chimed in with what seemed like a statement to defend the controversy surrounding Paula Deen.
As we all know, Deen is currently under fire from the media for her admitted use of a racial epithet. And defending her is not a good look … as far as the black community, for the most part, is concerned.
Sharpton’s spokesperson, Rachel Noerdlinger, reached out to The Huffington Post and said her client did not defend Paula Deen, but rather made the point that Deen shouldn’t be judged by something she said 27 years ago.
“There is more current information that is being divulged that we might need to be concerned about,” Noerdlinger added.
This entire ordeal started when Lisa T. Jackson filed a lawsuit against Deen and her brother, Earl “Bubba” Hiers, last year. Jackson claims that as a manager at Deen’s Savannah, Ga. restaurant, she endured sexual harassment and racial discrimination.
During the trial’s deposition, Deen admitted to using the N-word in the past. She also confessed to having planned a “southern plantation-style wedding” with black servers. The deposition was released to the public and caused a series of backlash including Deen being fired by the Food Network and her deal with QVC in jeopardy.
TMZ caught up with Sharpton and asked for his opinion on the controversy.
“A lot of us have in the past said things we have regretted saying years ago,” he replied. “I think she has a lawsuit now about activities now whether it was discriminatory. And whether or not she’s engaged in things now. It’s not about her past. … She deserves what’s fair, but that’s based on what she’s engaged in now.”
“You cannot deal with what is fair or not fair until we see an outcome of the present circumstances she is accused of, not something that happened 20 years ago,” he added.
Sharpton’s spokesperson wanted to clarify that his statements were not in support but rather just to push for people to focus on the matters at hand that are more pressing.
As we reported, Bill Maher was another well-known figure to speak up on Paula Deen’s dilemma.
“If you’re 66 years old, and you were raised in Georgia, and you were a child before the civil rights movement, do you get a bit of a pass?” he asked on his show Friday, adding, “I also think that people shouldn’t have to lose their shows and go away when they do something bad. … It’s just a word; it’s a wrong word, she’s wrong to use it. But do we always have to make people go away?”
Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr., an African-American pastor at First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah told the local radio station WTOC that Deen is a friend of his and the black community. He added that using the N-word does not automatically make her a racist.
Deen made a public apology following the aftermath of the testimony leak in a series of three videos. She asked for forgiveness while stating that the press is misjudging her and her family.
She is scheduled to make an appearance on the “Today” show Wednesday, where she will address the public again in an attempt to clear her name. This is her second attempt after missing the “Today” interview last Friday.
Fans used social media to express their distaste towards the Food Network for firing Paula Dean so abruptly, while others displayed their support by gathering at her Savannah restaurant.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Rev. Al Sharpton Defends Paula Deen’s “Old” Racist Comments but Not New Actions