Since his retirement former heavyweight boxing champ George Foreman has been a busy man. He’s promoted his ever-popular George Foreman grill, Meineke auto repair shops, became a minister and rancher and raised his family – including his five sons famously named George. (Jr, III, IV, V, V1). Three of his sons have joined him in the fight promotion business (called what else, Foreman Boys Productions) and this weekend in Dallas, one of their marquee events is about to take place. Undefeated WBO featherweight champ Mikey Garcia (31-0, 25 KO’s) will take on former WBO featherweight champ Juan Manuel Lopez (33-2, 30 KO’s) at the American Airlines Arena this Saturday night in the first “HBO After Dark” fight that to be broadcast from Dallas.
Foreman says no matter the outcome of the fight, life is good.
“I’m doing really good,” he told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. Joyner will attend Saturday’s fight with his sons in Foreman’s box. “Everything is going just fine. I like the idea of being on the opposite of the boxing ring – this time outside the ring. “HBO After Dark” will be there with George Foreman and his sons – George and George, but I told George to stay out of it. George is in it too, but three is enough plus me that’s four,” Foreman jokes. If it’s hard to keep up with all the Georges, it may also be hard to keep up with the punches as both men are known for their counterpunching and their dominant knockout records. ‘
“I’m really curious about this too,” Foreman says. “You live by the left hook, you get knocked out by the left hook. You put that thing out there, you expose your chin. Joe Frazier never stopped throwing that left hook in that fight [vs. Ali] finally he knocked him down but he got up, though. I like watching fighters who throw that left hook. It’s daring.”
When Sybil questioned whether or not Black fighters were still dominant, Foreman gave his perspective.
“Everyone got accustomed to heavyweights, and for a long time George Forman, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and all of us were on the scene. But in the lighter weights, a lot of guys just don’t go in. You have to be a big guy – football type player to be a heavyweight. That’s where that distinction comes in. But we’ve had a lot of fighters from all over that weight division in the lighter weights. Sugar Ray Robinson ruled the welterweight division.”
While Foreman came back to win the heavyweight title at 45, becoming the oldest man to do so, it’s unlikely there will be another comeback. Foreman blew out 64 candles on his birthday cake this year. But he says he did consider it some years ago.
“I told my wife I was going back at 55 .I was all set, in the gym working out and just as I was about to go back, she said ‘You’re not going back into boxing.’ I said ‘No one tell me what to do.’ Well, I never went back. I told her I could still do it. And she said “That’s how you want to leave the sport, feeling like you can still do it.” I was really in some of the best condition of my life at that age, but once in a while somebody has to tell you ‘Do something new. You can’t do the same thing forever.’ Let me get on the radio, that’s what I want to do. I’m in training.”
The Garcia/Lopez fight will air on “HBO After Dark” on Saturday, June 15 starting at 10:45 p.m. Tickets for the fight at the American Airlines arena are still available here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31