BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Larry Langford blamed everyone but himself when he stood outside the courthouse moments after he was convicted on federal corruption charges and ousted as Birmingham’s mayor. He said he’d been treated worse than Jeffrey Dahmer, the infamous mass murderer and cannibal.
That remarkable exercise in free speech could cost Langford additional time in prison at his sentencing, one of Langford’s lawyers and a legal expert said Monday.
Federal judges can increase a criminal defendant’s sentence for a lack of remorse or to promote respect for the law, and Langford was hardly contrite during his statements to reporters just moments after his trial ended with a sweeping rebuke last week.
Langford mischaracterized the evidence against him more than once, claiming two main witnesses testified they never gave him anything. The two men actually told of showering Langford with checks, clothes and jewelry worth thousands.
Langford was just getting started. He went on for about 20 minutes, blaming racism and the media for his conviction. He accused jurors of sleeping during the trial and failing to look at the evidence. He said the government was out to get him.
“Hitler wasn’t treated this bad,” Langford’s wife, Melva, said.
“Jeffrey Dahmer wasn’t treated this bad,” added Langford.
Glennon F. Threatt Jr., one of two defense attorneys for the ex-mayor, fears the rant could mean additional time behind bars for Langford.
“I don’t want it to because he is my client. But if I were a federal judge I would not want people out there saying the system is racist and they were treated worse than Hitler,” Threatt said.
Langford, 63, faces what Threatt said is a likely sentence of 12 to 15 years imprisonment after being convicted on 60 felony charges including bribery, fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and filing false tax returns. He’s already agreed to forfeit $241,000 because of the conviction.
U.S. District Judge Scott Coogler has yet to set a sentencing date.
Federal judges have great leeway in imposing sentences, and they can go tougher on criminal defendants who fail to show sorrow for their crimes, said David E. Patton, an assistant professor and director of the criminal defense clinic at the University of Alabama law school.
“Certainly I wouldn’t be surprised if the judge takes into account his post-trial statements and his other statements at sentencing,” Patton said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30