I’m so proud of Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry. The two media power houses joined forces and it paid off big. The premiere episodes of “The Haves and the Have Nots ,” and “Love Thy Neighbor” broke records, making them the highest-rated shows to debut on the OWN network to date. We’re so used to seeing African-Americans accomplish great things that we sometimes take for granted this kind of news. But think about it. Oprah, a black woman born in poor, rural Mississippi and she’s running her own television network. Tyler Perry survived childhood abuse, dysfunction and homelessness.
Consider that in 1956, when NBC launched a TV series starring singer Nat King Cole they had to do so without a sponsor. Thinking that once they saw how sophisticated the show was, at least one national advertiser would line up, the network took a chance. When no sponsors stepped up, Nat King Cole pulled the plug on the show himself.
Let your kids know that there was a time when you’d flip on the TV and there was no BET, no TVOne, no black TV shows, and no black TV stars. When we were represented on television it was only as maids, butlers or some subservient role.
So now that we’ve come full circle with our OWN network, I have a couple of shows I would like to pitch to the network. Hey Oprah and Tyler! How about a Friday night line up from This Mofo Productions Presents:
“At Least I Got His A**”: It’s our version of snapped. We all know someone who has gone too far to get back at the man or woman who has done them wrong. They may get fired, they may go to jail, they may got publicly humiliated, but in the end they can say: At least I GOT his A**
In our first episode, Damon Williams tells us about his ex who waited until he paid off the last piece of furniture they purchased together, took off work, spent good money to rent a truck, got the key from the manager (her name was on the lease) and took everything in the house, including his brown eight- piece sectional couch. She risked everything and it cost her some money BUT “At Least She Got his A**.”
In the next episode, the man who claims to have dated the First Lady blows the whistle on the IRS. He waited 20 years and The Big Chief might have gotten Michelle, but “At least he GOT his A**.”
“That Big Negro Can Sing!” hosted by Ruben Studdard: This show features videos of Big Luther, Big Freddie Jackson and Barry White and Jennifer Hudson BEFORE Weight Watchers.
“That Negro Was Asking For It!”, starring Tavis Smiley and all the people who didn’t pay their taxes and/or owe child support: Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Ron Isley, Wesley Snipes and Jermaine Jackson.
“You Can’t Tell That Negro Nothin’!” Same cast as above plus Cornell West and DMX.
“That Negro Can Pray!” starring J.’s brother-in-law, Rev. Joseph Lowery, Myrlie Evers-Williams (no disrespect) and who ever is praying over the food on the day that you’re the most hungry.
This is just a few of the shows we plan to pitch. If you have ideas or would like to add to these, we welcome your input!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30