Gospel music group The Pace Sisters are surely an anointed music family. But they are also a family that struggles with issues of obesity. Six of the seven sisters joined Iyanla Vanzant for the latest episode of “Iyanla, Fix My Life,” which airs on OWN this Saturday, May 18 at 9 p.m. Vanzant says the sisters weight challenges reflected other issues.
“What I did experience both with the Pace sisters and with some of the work that I’ve done is when you hace a very religious history, food is the only thing that is unrestricted,” Vanzant told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “It’s also a symbol of love. Somebody loves you, they want to nurture you, the first thing they do is feed you. We explore a litte bit about that. We also explore the family history that contributes to weighing these sisters down. Not so much their weight, but what is weighing them down.”
Vanzant says that obesity is often the product of unresolved issues and that is true for the Pace sisters. Obesity is a significant issue not just in their households, butt in the African-American community overall. And it’s deadly. One of the seven Pace sisters was unable to participate in the show as she was hospitalized by a stroke before the broadcast.
“We also explore the family history that contributes to weighing these sisters down,” Vanzant says of the episode. “Not so much their weight, but what is weighing them down. And then when they eat the food, what is it holding in place? What is it holding down? If you can’t go to the movies and you can’t wear pants and you can’t iisten to secular music and you can’t go to the club, but you can eat all the food you want [this is what can happen].”
Vanzant’s family intervention has proven to be a breakthrough for the group. Since the show, Vanzant says the sisters have bonded together to help each other lose the weight.
“Once we looked at the issues, there’s no reason anymore to stuff those issues and stuff those fears.”
As for rapper DMX, who was unhappy with his portrayal on a recent “Iyanla, Fix My Life,” broadcast, Vanzant says that his threatened lawsuit has not yet materialized. But the show may have created a breakthrough, not for DMX, but for his oldest son, Xavier, who appeared on the show with him.
“Very often, we go in thinkkng we’re working with one person and we get the breakthrough for somebody else. That’s not the first time that has happened. So really it was about his son. With all of the guests, it’s their choice and I think once they get in and realize this is not just reality TV and you’re getting some publicity and exposure, when they’re sititng face to face with me, they say ‘Oh wait a minute. Hold on.'” (Laughs).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25