Actor/ comedian David Alan Grier has had a lengthy career on screen and stage. This spring, he co-stars with Craig Robinson (“The Office”) and Kerry Washington in the new Tyler Perry produced “Peeples.” The former “In Living Color” star says that although it may seem as though the universal story of a suitor meeting his girlfriends’ parents was written for a “mainstream” cast and an All-Black cast was dropped in, that’s not the case at all. Tyler Perry lent his name and considerable cachet as producer, but he’s not the writer/director of “Peeples.”
“Tina Chism who is a first-time director, wrote it and directed it. She wrote the script for “ATL” and “Drumline,” Grier told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “She wrote a script for “us.” It wasn’t like she took a project and said ‘Let’s paint it black.’ I mean do you talk about Blackness in every day of your life? That’s the one thing Tina and I never talked about. We just talked about how to make it real, how to make it fun, and how to make it work and the truth of that. I think that she wanted to show Black people with money, Black people at different stages of our society but still struggling with the same thing. I mean a family is a family. You bring someone home who’ s not a part of that family, they have to be jumped in.”
Grier says working with fellow comic Craig Robinson helped the movie up the comic ante.
“I never worked with Craig. I know him from comedy. We’d see each other in in clubs in passing doing sets around L.A. and it was always that conversation ‘Man, I’d love to work with you, Me, too, See ya,” says Grier. “And you know I love Kerry. This is the third time we’ve worked together and [now] I’m going to play your love interest. It’s going to be amazing.”
Sadly for Grier, in “Peeples” he plays Washington’s father. “We need you to grow the grey in,” Grier says. “I was like that’s not gray, that’s makeup!”
Veteran actors Melvin Van Peebles and Diahann Carroll star as well.
“Peeples” opens on Friday.
TEXT TOM AND WIN: Text “Peeples” to 0006464 and join the TJMS at the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando, FL Labor Day Weekend. You and your “peeples” can come hang out with our ‘peeples,” if you’re the winner.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25