Actor/ comedian David Alan Grier has had a lengthy career on screen and stage. This spring, he co-stars with Craig Robinson (“The Office”) and Kerry Washington in the new Tyler Perry produced “Peeples.” The former “In Living Color” star says that although it may seem as though the universal story of a suitor meeting his girlfriends’ parents was written for a “mainstream” cast and an All-Black cast was dropped in, that’s not the case at all. Tyler Perry lent his name and considerable cachet as producer, but he’s not the writer/director of “Peeples.”
“Tina Chism who is a first-time director, wrote it and directed it. She wrote the script for “ATL” and “Drumline,” Grier told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “She wrote a script for “us.” It wasn’t like she took a project and said ‘Let’s paint it black.’ I mean do you talk about Blackness in every day of your life? That’s the one thing Tina and I never talked about. We just talked about how to make it real, how to make it fun, and how to make it work and the truth of that. I think that she wanted to show Black people with money, Black people at different stages of our society but still struggling with the same thing. I mean a family is a family. You bring someone home who’ s not a part of that family, they have to be jumped in.”
Grier says working with fellow comic Craig Robinson helped the movie up the comic ante.
“I never worked with Craig. I know him from comedy. We’d see each other in in clubs in passing doing sets around L.A. and it was always that conversation ‘Man, I’d love to work with you, Me, too, See ya,” says Grier. “And you know I love Kerry. This is the third time we’ve worked together and [now] I’m going to play your love interest. It’s going to be amazing.”
Sadly for Grier, in “Peeples” he plays Washington’s father. “We need you to grow the grey in,” Grier says. “I was like that’s not gray, that’s makeup!”
Veteran actors Melvin Van Peebles and Diahann Carroll star as well.
“Peeples” opens on Friday.
TEXT TOM AND WIN: Text “Peeples” to 0006464 and join the TJMS at the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando, FL Labor Day Weekend. You and your “peeples” can come hang out with our ‘peeples,” if you’re the winner.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31