I once admired Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, the former U.S. Rep. from Detroit, but now I’m questioning her reasoning.
In Washington, D.C. this week, Cheeks, who is no stranger to Capitol Hill hearings, will preside over a week of testimony about the existence of extraterrestrials, aliens from space, and unidentified flying objects.
What is Cheeks thinking? Is she serious about exposing extraterrestrials? Does she really believe in these bizarre hearings? Is it a crazy cry for help or is it simply about the money? Cheeks is being paid $20,000, plus expenses, to preside over the panel.
“I’ve been interested for a while,” Kilpatrick told The Detroit News. The hearings, known as the Citizen Hearing on Disclosure sponsored by the Paradigm Research Group, a private ET lobbying organization. “It’s good to be here. We’re excited. I’ve been reading and watching and so I’m looking forward to the week’s activities.”
This is an unusual departure for Kilpatrick who spent more than a decade arguing passionately on Capitol Hill for funding to pay for housing, jobs, health care and education in Detroit. But I’m not sure who is served by this new round of hearings, which will last through Friday at the National Press Club and will be the basis for a documentary on UFOs.
Kilpatrick said she’ll hear evidence about a government conspiracy to hide the existence of unidentified flying objects and extraterrestrials that have contacted Earth.
“I’m waiting to hear,” Kilpatrick told The Detroit News.
Kilpatrick, the mother of disgraced former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, is joined at the hearing by former Sen. Mike Gravel of Alaska, as well as former Reps. Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif., Darlene Hooley, D-Ore., Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md., and Merrill Cook, R-Utah.
Woolsey joked that she never made the front page story of her local newspaper until she retired and joined this ET panel. So is this a serious investigation or an attempt by some former congressional leaders to get their names back in the headlines and grab the spotlight, if only for a brief moment in time?
It all sounds a bit suspect to me since no report from the hearing will be issued and organizers said the hearing will only be used to provide footage for the upcoming documentary.
In 2011, the White House said the government has “no evidence that any life exists outside our planet, or that an extraterrestrial presence has contacted or engaged any member of the human race.” But Stephen Bassett, executive director of the Bethesda-Md.-based Paradigm Research Group, testified Monday that the White House is wrong and said the hearings will prove that extraterrestrials exist.
Kilpatrick also introduced Minister Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam leader, as “one of the leaders in our nation on this topic.” Farrakhan has publicly talked about his own UFO experience that he called “the wheel.”
I don’t know anything about extraterrestrials and I suspect that Kilpatrick doesn’t know much about it either. I do know that many black folks in Detroit are struggling every day to make ends meet, public schools are closing, unemployment is at an all-time high, and the state is preparing to take over the city’s government. Detroit is a mess.
So I’m left to wonder how aliens from space directly impact the lives of black people in Detroit – and all Americans – who are simply trying to survive after a national economic crisis.
Kilpatrick lost her re-election bid in 2010 after spending 14 years in Congress lobbying on behalf of the underprivileged. It just seems to me that Kilpatrick could make better use of her time in her post-congressional life.
What do you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31