Cicely Tyson, Patina Miller, Billy Porter and Valisia LeKae are among the nominees up for a 2013 Tony Award.
Tyson received a nod for Best Lead Actress in a Play for her starring role in “The Trip to Bountiful,” which itself was nominated for Best Revival of a Play. Pippen and its star Miller each picked up nods, as did LeKae of Motown The Musical, who faces Miller in the Best Lead Actress in a Musical category. LeKae plays Diana Ross in the Berry Gordy production.
Porter is nominated for Best Lead Actor in a Musical for his role in “Kinky Boots,” which leads all nominees with 13. The musical has a book by veteran writer/performer Harvey Fierstein and a score by first-time Broadway composer Cyndi Lauper.
Sutton Foster and Jesse Tyler Ferguson unveiled the nominations this morning. Here are the nominees in the major categories:
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
The Testament of Mary
The Assembled Parties
Bring It On: The Musical
A Christmas Story, The Musical
Matilda The Musical
BEST PLAY REVIVAL
The Trip to Bountiful
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Love Em Or Hate Em: On Screen Moms
27 photos Launch gallery
1. Kimberly Elise played the naive, yet insanely sweet mom in 'Set It Off'
1 of 27
2. Monique played the hilariously funny mom on "The Parkers"
2 of 27
3. Wendy Racquel Robinson played the funny, neck-rolling 'Tasha Mack' on The Game.
3 of 27
4. Tasha Smith starred in 'Daddy's Little Girl's' as the ghetto, loud-mouthed baby mama.
4 of 27
5. Janet Hubert played the sassy mom on 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'
5 of 27
6. Lisa Raye played the funny, witty mom on "All About Us"
6 of 27
7. Nia Long played the lovable mom in "Big Mama's House", "Are We There Yet"
7 of 27
8. Jackee Harry is most known for her role as "Lisa" in Sister, Sister.
8 of 27
9. Whitney Houston played Jordin Sparks' mom in 'Sparkle'
9 of 27
10. Everyone wanted "Clair Huxtable" as their mom, the stylish, hard-working attorney who kept her large family in-tact. (AP)
10 of 27
11. Who can forget A.J. Johnson in "Baby Boy" as Jody's fun-loving, feisty mother. (PR)
11 of 27
12. Juanita Moore's classic role as a maid whose daughter rejects her to pass as white in "Imiitation of Life." (Retna)
12 of 27
13. Angela Bassett as the "uppity" mom in "Jumping The Broom" or vengeful in "Waiting to Exhale" she always aces it. (PR)
13 of 27
14. Jenifer Lewis has been everyone's mama, including Tina Turner to Melvin's in the "Temptations" & many more. (PR)
14 of 27
15. Esther Rolle, best known as "Florida Evans" was the backbone of her family on "Good Times." (AP)
15 of 27
16. Alfre Woodard has commonly played the homemaking,hardworking, kind mother and does it great every time. (PR)
16 of 27
17. It was hard not to hate Lynne Whitfield in "Madea's Family Reunion" in her role as an evil mom.
17 of 27
18. Irma P. Hall's role as "Big Mama" in "Soul Food" surely had everyone leaving the theater in tears. (PR)
18 of 27
19. Loretta Devine has many heartwrenching roles as mom, including her classic role in "Waiting to Exhale." (PR)
19 of 27
20. Marla Gibbs as "Mary Jenkins" on "227" was the gossipy mom who had her friend's backs. (PR)
20 of 27
21. Diahann Carroll as the single mother in "Claudine" is very memorable. (PR)
21 of 27
22. Cicely Tyson always sheds a lot of wisdom to her deserving daughters in her roles as mom. (PR)
22 of 27
23. Halle Berry earned an Oscar for her role as mom in "Monster's Ball." (AP)
23 of 27
24. Tichina Arnold on "Everybody Hates Chris" as the loud, in-your-face mom who kept things in order for her three kids and husband. (PR)
24 of 27
25. Maybe memorable for not being so good, Beyonce played "Sharon" young mother in "Obsessed." (PR)
25 of 27
26. Jo Marie Payton was the better half of "Carl Winslow" who kept the Winslow family tight. (Retna)
26 of 27
27. Taraji P. Henson played opposite Tyrese Gibson as his mother in the movie "Baby Boy." (Photo: AP)
27 of 27