Color of Money: Procrastination Has Its Price

Comments: 1  | Leave A Comment

— Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property).

— Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits.

— Form 5884, Work Opportunity Credit.

— Form 8396, Mortgage Interest Credit.

— Form 8834, Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit.

— Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses.

— Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).

You can find the complete list of the eligible forms by going to and searching for “Notice 2013-24.” To qualify for the relief, you have to request an extension to file your 2012 return.

Here’s another piece of vital information. Your request for an extension, which you can make by submitting IRS Form 4868, does not mean you get more time to pay. You still have to estimate your tax liability and pay that amount by April 15. The extension applies only to filing the return. If you don’t pay on time, the IRS charges interest on the taxes owed.

I know some of you are wondering that if you have to calculate what you owe, why the need to file for an extension?

Many people have complicated returns with lots of forms to fill out. Add in the delay this year and they well may need more time to gather all the supporting documents.

But if you’re asking the question, you probably do your return early anyway. Return-filing procrastinators know what I mean.


Readers can write to Michelle Singletary c/o The Washington Post, 1150 15th St., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20071. Her email address is Follow her on Twitter (@SingletaryM) or Facebook ( Comments and questions are welcome, but due to the volume of mail, personal responses may not be possible. Please also note comments or questions may be used in a future column, with the writer’s name, unless a specific request to do otherwise is indicated.

« Previous page 1 2

Tags: »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,663 other followers