When you hear that a football star has written and produced a movie, you’re probably not thinking it’s one you should run out and see. Well, Baltimore Ravens All-Pro linebacker Terrell Suggs might be the exception. With a fresh Super Bowl ring in hand, maybe an Oscar is next? Well, no, but his movie “The Coalition,” which Suggs financed and co-wrote, is actually pretty fun to watch.
His Team Sizzle films with director Monica Mingo at the helm mines the same territory of the BET show “The Game” – the world of pro athletes that Suggs knows well. “The Coalition,” which has been on the black festival circuit from The American Black Film Festival in Miami last year to the recent Pan-African Film Festival, is about four girlfriends who decide to get their revenge on the four guys whose bad relationship behavior has impacted them.
NBA player Prime Alexander is the center of the story. He’s dating Autumn, but decides to end that relationship in a particularly callous way to take up with another woman, Skylar. Skylar is new to the pro athlete dating scene which puts her at a disadvantage. When she gets clued in by Autumn and her more experienced friends, she too, wants some payback.
Aside from proving that pro athletes can be serious about aspirations outside of football, “The Coalition” gives opportunities to a group of young actors who might have trouble finding work elsewhere. Familiar names like Jackee, singer/actress/reality star Adrienne Bailon and Denyce Lawton are also in the movie, but it’s the newcomers like Eddie Goines who plays Alexander and Ingrid Clay who plays Autumn who really shine in the movie. You may remember Goines from Beyonce’s “If I Were A Boy” video.
The actor makes his lead debut in “The Coalition” but has also done commercial for Dockers, Coors and Nike. He’s happy that “The Coalition,” has gotten a warm response thus far. Goines, a former pro football player himself says working with Suggs was a great experience.
“He was great,” Suggs told Blackfilm.com. “I’m blown away that he was able to even do something like a feature film on top of all of the great things he’s doing on the field. It’s really something to see him balance both lives and not just do them but do them at a high level. I mean this film has been very entertaining for people to watch and I just feel that it’s a heck of a first effort for him and Monica. They should have a bright future.”
“The Coalition” is out on Blu-Ray and DVD now. Watch the trailer below.
(Photo: Courtesy “The Coalition” Facebook page.)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25