Anthony Darnell Liddell (pictured), 19, a student at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, South Carolina, was pronounced dead at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center after being shot to death outside of a campus residence hall, reports CCU’s website, Coastal News.
The gunman is still at large.
According to the school, there were approximately 4 or 5 shots outside the University Place residence hall. Liddell took two steps before collapsing against a vehicle, said one witness, and eventually laid motionless on the ground.
Read more from Coastal News below:
The 911 call came in at about 7:22 p.m. Tuesday; campus police and Conway Police responded immediately and found the victim, who was transported to a nearby hospital, CCU spokeswoman Martha Hunn confirms.
Campus officials alerted students with an ‘active shooter alert’ via text message and e-mail. The message asked students to remain in their dorm rooms and classrooms.
The first alert issued by staff at the college at about 8 p.m. said a shooting incident occurred at University Place, an off-campus housing facility for students. A second alert was sent moments later to ensure that the shooting incident was “not ongoing,” but the search for the suspect was continuing.
The suspect – which has not been given a good description yet – remains at large. The condition of the victim, their relationship to the shooter, or the motive for this supposed act of violence remain unanswered questions.
The victim was brought to evening. Security was out patrolling the exits and entrances while WMBF News crews were there at about 9 p.m. More than a handful of CCU students were waiting inside the waiting room of the trauma center.
Hunn made it clear that the university is proactively anticipating the psychological impact of the shooting on its students:
“CCU Counseling Services professionals and ministers will be on hand Wednesday at CCU’s Lackey Chapel beginning at 8 a.m. to provide assistance to students,” Hunn stated in a news release. “Counseling staff will also be available at the Grand Strand Activity House, located at University Place, and at Eaglin and Ingle residence halls. Counseling staff has also been assisting students at University Place since the incident was reported.”
Classmates and friends have already begun flocking to social media to express their shock and sadness:
According to Liddell’s Facebook page, he graduated from Marlboro County High School in 2011 and he anticipated graduating from Coastal Carolina University in 2015. More than 9,000 students attend the school, which is located about 15 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach.
Classes will proceed as scheduled tomorrow and the hunt for Liddell’s killer continues.
Originally seen on NewsOne.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31