In 2009, Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS) state worker Crystal Perry met with her supervisor to discuss why she was overlooked for a promotion. Days later, someone reportedly perched a 5-foot-tall ape on top of her cubicle wall to which Perry responded by filing a lawsuit against the agency charging discrimination. Now, more than three years later, an Ingham County judge has fined Perry’s employer $1,000 for every day the toy remained on her desk, which amounts to $21,000, according to the Huffington Post.
Once Perry, 47, who has a Master’s degree in human resources and labor relations, discovered the ape above her cubicle, she reportedly approached her supervisor, Duane Noworyta, who is White, about the inappropriate toy. According to Perry, she asked her supervisor repeatedly to remove the ape, but Noworyta allegedly refused and walked away each time.
Perry even reportedly sent e-mails to the DHS department responsible for employee harassment issues but the ape remained untouched for a three-week period.
“It truly belittled me. It just made me feel less than a person,” Perry, has been with DHS for six years, told the Lansing Journal.
Perry also claims that there were several White colleagues at DHS who had been promoted to supervisory positions within the agency even though they lacked degrees.
Last month, after Judge Rosemarie Aquilina finally reviewed Perry’s lawsuit, the judge was particularly moved by the fact that the employer did not remove the ape. While some may argue that Perry should have just removed the ape herself, Perry says, “I didn’t want someone to say [I wasn’t] supposed to do that. It [racist situations] always gets turned back on the victim.”
And the judge agrees with her.
“She had a responsibility to say, ‘I’m upset. I don’t like it. It bothers me. It hurts me,” Judge Aquilina said according to the Lansing Journal. “She did that.”
Not only did the judge fine the agency $21,000 but she also ordered them to pay all of Perry’s attorney’s fees.
“[It] is despicable,” Judge Aquilina said, according to the court transcripts. “It is not worthy of any state department. It is a continued, hostile work environment. It is upsetting. It is beneath any American.”
Even though Perry’s lawsuit is the third one in recent years alleging discrimination within the agency, DHS Spokesperson David Akerly intends to appeal Aquilina’s ruling.
Meanwhile, Perry was transferred to a department within the agency that handles employee discrimination complaints and to date has not been promoted.
Originally seen on NewsOne.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31