ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Platinum-selling rapper Ja Rule left an upstate New York prison Thursday morning after serving most of his two-year sentence for illegal gun possession and headed straight into federal custody in a tax case.
U.S. Marshals escorted the 36-year-old musician out of Mid-State Correctional Facility at 9:30 a.m. He was being held at the Oneida County Jail in central New York as he awaited word from the Federal Bureau of Prisons about where he’ll serve time in the tax case.
The rapper, who had been in protective custody because of his celebrity, has some time remaining on a 28-month sentence for tax evasion.
Ja Rule, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, may have less than six months left and may be eligible for a halfway house, defense attorney Stacey Richman said. An order to pay $1.1 million in back taxes is one of the main reasons he wants to get back to work, she said.
“Many people are looking forward to experiencing his talent again,” Richman said.
Ja Rule scored a Grammy Award nomination in 2002 for the best rap album with “Pain is Love.” He also has appeared in movies, including “The Fast and the Furious” in 2001 and “Scary Movie 3” in 2003.
Ja Rule, who went to the prison in Marcy in June 2011, got out at his earliest release date, state correction spokeswoman Linda Foglia said. He had two misbehavior reports for unauthorized phone calls in February 2012 and had work assignments on lawn and grounds crews and participated in education programs, she said.
In the gun case, New York City police said they found a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic gun in a rear door of Ja Rule’s $250,000 luxury car after it was stopped for speeding, and he pleaded guilty in 2010.
He admitted in March 2011 in federal court that he failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million he earned between 2004 and 2006 while he lived in Saddle River, N.J.
“I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal,” he told the judge. “I was a young man who made a lot of money — I’m getting a little choked up — I didn’t know how to deal with these finances, and I didn’t have people to guide me, so I made mistakes.”
Richman said Ja Rule is looking forward to his daughter’s graduation.
“He’s a devoted father,” she said.
1. Remy Ma1 of 32
2. Bobby ShmurdaSource:Bobby Shmurda Instagram 2 of 32
3. Apollo Nida was just sentenced to 8 years in prison for fraud.3 of 32
4. Darren Sharper is currently on trial for rape in several states.4 of 32
5. Justin Bieber has had some trouble with the law in the past for marijuana possession, drag racing and a number of other crimes.5 of 32
6. Ja Rule spent two years in prison for gun possession and tax evasion.6 of 32
7. Joseline Hernandez has spent some time in jail for prostitution prior to her Love & Hip Hop fame.7 of 32
8. Nene Leakes was charged with shoplifting in her early 20's.8 of 32
9. Chris Brown is currently in jail for violating his probation.9 of 32
10. Lindsay Lohan10 of 32
11. Wesley Snipes was convicted and spent some time in the big house.11 of 32
12. Ron Isley spent time in jail for tax evasion.12 of 32
13. Foxy Brown's numerous probation violations landed her in the slammer for a year (76 days in solitary confinement).(AP)13 of 32
14. A drunk Shia Labeouf was arrested for trespassing at a Walgreens. The store was closing and he refused to leave. (AP)14 of 32
15. OJ Simpson15 of 32
16. 50 Cent was arrested on drug charges and spent 6 months in an incarceration boot camp and earned his GED while there. AP16 of 32
17. Lil' Wayne served a year at Rikers for illegal gun possession & performed suicide watch with at-risk inmates. (AP)17 of 32
18. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for peeing on the Alamo in San Antonio. He bragged about it & got a 20 yr. ban from the city. AP18 of 32
19. T.I. spent 11 months (the last time) in jail for probation violation. He is on the straight and narrow again. (AP)19 of 32
20. Martha Stewart was found guilty of insider trading and spent 5 months in federal prison & 2 years of supervised release. AP20 of 32
21. Gucci Mane has been in jail several times; drug possession, assault and probation violations. (AP)21 of 32
22. Nicole Richie only spent 82 minutes of her four-day sentence in jail for a DUI due to overcrowding in the system. (AP)22 of 32
23. Boy George got 15 months for chaining a male escort to a wall (without his consent) in his flat during a photo session.23 of 32
24. Lil’ Kim was at the very peak of her career when she was charged with conspiracy and perjury charges. She got 1 year & 1 day.24 of 32
25. Michelle Rodriguez has been in & out of jail four times: DUI, hit & run, probation violations, driving without a license.25 of 32
26. Kiefer Sutherland was charged with misdemeanor drunk driving in Los Angeles and spent 48 days in jail. (AP)26 of 32
27. Robert Downey Jr. spent 4 months in a LA jail and a year in prison for drugs and probation violations. He is doing well now.27 of 32
28. A hairdresser cashed an unauthorized check and Mystikal gave her a choice; jail or sex (not legal) and he got six years. (AP)28 of 32
29. Christian Slater was sentenced to three months in jail for assaulting his girlfriend & the man who tried to help her.29 of 32
30. Actor & comedian Tim Allen spent over two years in prison for cocaine possession (before he found fame). (AP)30 of 32
31. A drunk Edward Furlong was arrested for “freeing” a tank of lobsters in a Kentucky grocery store. (AP)31 of 32
32. Michael Vick spent 21 months in jail for financing a dog fighting business. He is out and doing well. Go Mike! (AP)32 of 32