Black folks love a good movie and over the years, we’ve had plenty that deal with all kind of Black families – from the slightly dysfunctional to the all-out crazy. (Or as Kanye would say, cray-cray.) In honor of Black History Month and with the Oscars on tap this weekend (Good luck Denzel!) we had to take another look at some of our favorite black family movies. What unites them? Strong mothers, competitive siblings, challenging relationships, family camaraderie and always humor, even through the roughest times. Here’s our list of the black movies that made us laugh…and cry.
JOHNSON FAMILY VACATION (2004)
Let’s just start with Vanessa Williams married to Cedric The Entertainer. Sounds like a stretch to us, but we let it go and enjoyed this silly comedy based on an ill-fated trip across country for one Black family. The kids were played by Solange Knowles and Bow Wow, so you knew what it was, but it had its hilarious moments.
THIS CHRISTMAS (2007)
Idris Elba, Columbus Short and Chris Brown provide very worthwhile eye candy in this film about a troubled but loving family coming together for the holidays. Loretta Devine plays the family matriarch.
THE ANTWONE FISHER STORY (2002)
Denzel Washington starred in and directed this film based on the true story of Navy man Antwone Fisher and his struggle to find and reconnect with himself and his family. Derek Luke plays Fisher, Joy Bailey is his compassionate girlfriend and Washington the Navy therapist who assists Fisher in his journey.
DOWN IN THE DELTA (1998)
Directed by Maya Angelou, “Down in the Delta” features a mother struggling with addiction who moves to Mississippi with her children only to find the Southern life confining at first. But soon the love of family helps her heal her own demons and she finds peace after years of turmoil. Alfre Woodwarad stars with Esther Rolle, Al Freeman, Jr. Loretta Devine and Wesley Snipes.
MADEA’S FAMILY REUNION (2006)
Tyler Perry’s adaptation of his own stage play starred his alter ego Ma’dea along with Lynn Whitfield, Boris Kodjoe, Blair Underwood and Keke Palmer. The story includes a troubled teenager and an equally troubled relationship but ends with a note of hope and a message about the lasting importance of family.
THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (1996)
What funnier family has ever been created than the Klumps – all played by Eddie Murphy. In the first of two movies, Murphy is Sherman Klump, an overweight professor looking for love who takes a chemical that transforms him into a slimmer but nastier alter ego. Jada Pinkett stars as the object of Klump’s desire, though she has to get by his large, in every sense of the word, family first.
WELCOME HOME ROSCOE JENKINS (2008)
Martin Lawrence and Joy Bailey play a high-end L.A. celebrity couple that return home to Martin’s humble beginnings in the South. Cedric The Entertainer, Mike Epps and Mo’Nique play the kind of family members you hope to avoid at family gatherings; James Earl Jones and “The Color Purple’s” Margaret Avery are the parents of this crazy clan.
MAMA FLORA’S FAMILY -TV MOVIE- (1998)
Although it was a TV movie, “Mama Flora’s Family” is the memorable story of the triumphs and struggles of a black family set against the backdrop of several decades of American history that resonated with audiences. Cicely Tyson, Blair Underwood, Queen Latifah and Mario Van Peebles star as multiple generations of one family.
ARE WE THERE YET? (2005)
Bachelor Nick soon finds out that to win the heart of Suzanne, he must first win over her kids and it’s not an easy task. When Nick offers to drive the kids cross-country to see their mom during a holiday, predictable disaster and comedy are on the menu. Ice Cube and Nia Long star.
SOUL FOOD (1997)
This popular drama is about three Chicago sisters and their families who carry on their mother’s tradition of Sunday soul food dinners even after she dies. The movie inspired the long-running Showtime TV series of the same name, one of the only successful Black family dramas ever aired on television. Vanessa L. Williams, Vivica A. Fox, Nia Long and Mekhi Phifer star.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30