Until the latest episode of Bravo’s “Real Housewives of Atlanta” (RHOA) Kandi Burruss had been relatively low key during season 5.
As she concentrates on a new relationship with her fiance’ Todd Tucker and decorating her new home, Burruss hasn’t had time to get caught up in the never-ending drama between the “talls and smalls” that seems to be the focus of the program. But, her manager, Don Juan, noticed her career has been lagging as she puts all of her energy toward her personal life.
Agreeing that she need to re-focus, the 36-year-old singer/songwriter/producer went back to the studio and unexpectedly laid tracks for a … gospel record! Don Juan was understandably taken aback when his client said she wanted to add a gospel song to her next CD. Although Burruss has been successful making hits for her self and others and has dabbled in other genres (Country and House for instance), the R&B singer’s desire to do a gospel album comes as a surprise because Kandi, a single mom, is known for speaking candidly about sex. More importantly, she owns a sex toy line (“Bedroom Kandi“) and hosts a sexually oriented web show (“Kandi Koated Knights“), two factors that are not typical of an artist that sings about/for the Lord.
Apparently, Burruss is looking to make another hit. The song, entitled “Prayed Up,” features platinum- selling gospel artist Marvin Sapp. He sings and preaches the gospel. She sings and sells sex toys. Online comments suggest this collaboration struck a bad chord with the majority of viewers.
Days after the show aired, on Facebook, Burruss expressed that she was prepared for disapproval:
“I knew when I decided to do it that I would be criticized. That’s to be expected. I’m a single mom that had a child out of wedlock, I speak openly about sex on #KandiKoatedNights, I have #BedroomKandi, etc… I’m very honest about who I am. ”
The Grammy award winning, former member of 90′s girl group Xscape is not deterred by the criticism. In the lyrics of the song she calls herself a “sinner” and says “hopefully people with a similar struggle can relate.”
Kandi won’t be the first R&B songstress to do a gospel album. Many R&B artists got their start in the church and want to return to their roots; some of them never left their roots. Sometimes an artist will do music they always wanted to do. As Burruss said on the follow-up episode, she is claiming a #1 record. From the sound of the single Kandi is back in her zone.
Listen to “Stay Prayed Up” below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30