I’m going to ask a question that, after reading some recent headlines on the controversial, on-again couple, Chris Brown and Rihanna, has been on my mind.
You know, it was Tina Turner who first asked it when she musically wondered, “What’s love got to do with it…?”
And some are still wondering, especially since Rihanna escorted Brown to a court hearing where he was charged for failing to complete his community service for abusing Rihanna 4 years ago.
Now, I’m not saying Rihanna and Chris don’t love each other. In fact, they very well may. Still, my question remains: What does love really have to do with it?
Let me explain where I’m going with this. We often convince ourselves that relationships are all about love. And, on Valentine’s Day, we celebrate this type of romantic love.
However, if successful relationships were based only on romantic love, divorce rates would certainly not be as high as they are, right? In fact, a lot of divorced couples dislike each other and yet say they still love each other.
The point is there are a bunch of other very important factors in a relationship that determine its health and success; the emotional health of each partner, trust, respect, compatibility, to name a few.
And it’s often these other key aspects of a relationship that allow romantic love to flourish.
Yes, Rihanna and Chris likely do love each other, but given their checkered history together—and the fact they are living out their flaws and mistakes on a world stage—I sincerely hope they recognize the importance of these other aspects.
And while they have every right to want to move on and leave their past behind, without a healthy acknowledgement of their individual emotional wellness, trust and respect, in particular—their renewed relationship is not likely to survive, and worse, they might be doomed to repeat the ugly scenario of four years ago.
So on this Valentine’s Day, I’m not hating on Rihanna and Chris 2.0 at all, as many in the media are. Rather, I am sending them—and, for that matter, everyone out there in a relationship—love and hope, and the reminder that romantic love has to be fed and nurtured with these other important aspects.
Ask anyone who’s been married for years and they’ll probably tell you that romantic love often needs help and this is not a bad thing, because it’s all about working at and celebrating a relationship so it can truly grow.
I’ll close with these words from George Jean Nathan that speak to the importance of healthy loving relationships:
“Love is an emotion experienced by the many but enjoyed by the few.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30