Federal prosecutors should leave Sandi Jackson alone.
I don’t know if Jackson broke the law or if she’s just a scapegoat in a political take-down, but I’m only thinking about her school-age children while this high-profile drama unfolds.
Jackson, the wife of former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson, is reportedly the target of a separate criminal investigation for her role in her husband’s campaign finance mess.
Jesse Jackson Jr. is already being investigated by federal authorities for possible misuse of campaign funds, which includes a $40,000 Rolex watch he allegedly gave to a close female friend.
And now, according to The Chicago Sun-Times, Jesse Jr. could be facing “significant jail time” as a part of a plea deal with federal agents. “Significant jail time is now definitely a part of the deal,” a source close to the investigation told the Sun-Times.
“But I think Sandi feels like she was thrown under the bus by her husband,” now that a separate probe has started on her, another source added.
So as a father, here’s my concern: The Jacksons have two young children. And even though the couple hasn’t been charged with a crime, Jackson Jr. could end up in prison.
When is the last time a black married couple was jailed for breaking campaign finance laws? I can’t recall such a scenario.
I believe it would be irresponsible for federal prosecutors to incarcerate both Jacksons and risk taking them away from their children, leaving the kids without both parents.
While prosecutors debate whether the Jacksons are corrupt, there should be some thoughtful discussion about how these investigations will impact the Jackson’s children and the heavy emotional toll the kids will endure, perhaps for years to come.
The cynics will say the Jacksons should have thought about their children before they got caught up in a federal probe, but the truth is their children didn’t ask to be put in this situation – it just suddenly came crashing down around them.
In the meantime, Sandi Jackson, who resigned from her position as a Chicago Alderman last month, has retained her own legal counsel, Dan Webb, and a source told the Sun-Times that federal authorities are “trying to figure out exactly what to do” with her.
And according to the Sun-Times, “Sandi Jackson claims she was stunned by campaign finance abuse disclosures against her husband.” Sandi Jackson told NBC last year that there was a $69,000 discrepancy between campaign finance reports issued by her office and Jesse Jr’s office and she blamed the problem on clerical errors.
So do federal agents really have enough evidence on Sandi Jackson to bring her to trial or are they trying to make examples of the Jacksons because they were a high-flying couple who have now fallen from grace? Or are they simply using Sandi Jackson as a pawn to force Jesse Jr. into a plea deal?
Jesse Jr., 47, has been treated for bipolar disorder, and cited ill health as his reason for stepping down from Congress last year. He also acknowledged in a resignation letter a continuing federal criminal investigation.
“For 17 years I have given 100 percent of my time, energy and life to public service,” Jackson wrote in the letter to Speaker John A. Boehner. “However, over the past several months, as my health has deteriorated, my ability to serve the constituents of my district has continued to diminish. Against the recommendations of my doctors, I had hoped and tried to return to Washington and continue working on the issues that matter most to the people of the Second District. I know now that will not be possible.”
But many black Democrats who supported Jesse Jr. over the years now feel like Jackson deceived them.
“To slap us in the face now, you just lied to us,” Chicago Alderwoman Carrie Austin told reporters last year. “You just lied to us. I feel so betrayed.”
Clearly, Jesse Jr. and Sandi Jackson are tangled in a legal thicket and Jesse Jr. could serve time behind bars. But federal authorities shouldn’t make orphans out of the Jackson’s children by trying to jail Sandi Jackson, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30