SAN DIEGO (AP) — The man who was the voice of Charlie Brown in several “Peanuts” television shows was charged Wednesday with stalking and threatening his former girlfriend and a plastic surgeon who gave her a breast enhancement that he paid for before the relationship ended.
Peter Robbins pleaded not guilty Wednesday in San Diego Superior Court to two counts of stalking and 10 counts of making criminal threats.
Prosecutors said the 56-year-old voice actor best known for his portrayal of Charlie Brown on the TV special “A Charlie Brown Christmas” repeatedly threatened his former girlfriend, calling her as many as 37 times in a 24-hour period on her cellphone and telling her he would kill her and her son if she did not give back his dog and car.
Prosecutors said he also followed and threatened her La Jolla plastic surgeon, calling her office so many times she moved to a hotel temporarily out of fear for her life and hired an armed guard outside her clinic. Authorities said Robbins was demanding a refund for the surgery, according to the criminal complaint.
On Dec. 31, Robbins allegedly confronted his former girlfriend in a hotel room, beating his dog and telling her he would not stop hurting the animal and would kill her if she did not get a refund for the surgery, Deputy District Attorney Elizabeth McClutchey told the judge in arguing that bail be increased to $550,000. McClutchey said he then grabbed his ex-girlfriend by the neck and shoved her against the door before fleeing.
Prosecutors also told the judge that Robbins had been practicing at a shooting range and recently purchased a gun but had not picked it up yet. San Diego Superior Court Judge David M. Szumowski agreed to up the bail to $550,000.
Robbins was arrested Sunday at the San Ysidro Port of Entry after authorities doing a background check upon his return from Mexico spotted a warrant from the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.
Robbins was best known for his performance as the voice of Charlie Brown on “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”
Defense Attorney Marc S. Kohnen told the judge the bail was set too high for a man with no prior criminal record, who has lived in San Diego County for 30 years and whose work is watched by so many children to this day. He called him a “distraught man” and said “this is not a stalking case” but declined to comment on what led to his arrest.
“Mr. Robbins is an eccentric individual,” Kohnen told reporters after the arraignment. “He’s not a threat to society.”
If convicted, he would face a maximum sentence of up to nine years in prison, prosecutors said.
1. Remy Ma1 of 32
2. Bobby ShmurdaSource:Bobby Shmurda Instagram 2 of 32
3. Apollo Nida was just sentenced to 8 years in prison for fraud.3 of 32
4. Darren Sharper is currently on trial for rape in several states.4 of 32
5. Justin Bieber has had some trouble with the law in the past for marijuana possession, drag racing and a number of other crimes.5 of 32
6. Ja Rule spent two years in prison for gun possession and tax evasion.6 of 32
7. Joseline Hernandez has spent some time in jail for prostitution prior to her Love & Hip Hop fame.7 of 32
8. Nene Leakes was charged with shoplifting in her early 20's.8 of 32
9. Chris Brown is currently in jail for violating his probation.9 of 32
10. Lindsay Lohan10 of 32
11. Wesley Snipes was convicted and spent some time in the big house.11 of 32
12. Ron Isley spent time in jail for tax evasion.12 of 32
13. Foxy Brown's numerous probation violations landed her in the slammer for a year (76 days in solitary confinement).(AP)13 of 32
14. A drunk Shia Labeouf was arrested for trespassing at a Walgreens. The store was closing and he refused to leave. (AP)14 of 32
15. OJ Simpson15 of 32
16. 50 Cent was arrested on drug charges and spent 6 months in an incarceration boot camp and earned his GED while there. AP16 of 32
17. Lil' Wayne served a year at Rikers for illegal gun possession & performed suicide watch with at-risk inmates. (AP)17 of 32
18. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for peeing on the Alamo in San Antonio. He bragged about it & got a 20 yr. ban from the city. AP18 of 32
19. T.I. spent 11 months (the last time) in jail for probation violation. He is on the straight and narrow again. (AP)19 of 32
20. Martha Stewart was found guilty of insider trading and spent 5 months in federal prison & 2 years of supervised release. AP20 of 32
21. Gucci Mane has been in jail several times; drug possession, assault and probation violations. (AP)21 of 32
22. Nicole Richie only spent 82 minutes of her four-day sentence in jail for a DUI due to overcrowding in the system. (AP)22 of 32
23. Boy George got 15 months for chaining a male escort to a wall (without his consent) in his flat during a photo session.23 of 32
24. Lil’ Kim was at the very peak of her career when she was charged with conspiracy and perjury charges. She got 1 year & 1 day.24 of 32
25. Michelle Rodriguez has been in & out of jail four times: DUI, hit & run, probation violations, driving without a license.25 of 32
26. Kiefer Sutherland was charged with misdemeanor drunk driving in Los Angeles and spent 48 days in jail. (AP)26 of 32
27. Robert Downey Jr. spent 4 months in a LA jail and a year in prison for drugs and probation violations. He is doing well now.27 of 32
28. A hairdresser cashed an unauthorized check and Mystikal gave her a choice; jail or sex (not legal) and he got six years. (AP)28 of 32
29. Christian Slater was sentenced to three months in jail for assaulting his girlfriend & the man who tried to help her.29 of 32
30. Actor & comedian Tim Allen spent over two years in prison for cocaine possession (before he found fame). (AP)30 of 32
31. A drunk Edward Furlong was arrested for “freeing” a tank of lobsters in a Kentucky grocery store. (AP)31 of 32
32. Michael Vick spent 21 months in jail for financing a dog fighting business. He is out and doing well. Go Mike! (AP)32 of 32