WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama‘s limousine carried the District of Columbia’s “Taxation Without Representation” license plate, a subtle, but some say important, protest over the city’s lack of a voting member in Congress.
The White House said Tuesday that Obama has lived in D.C. for four years and has seen firsthand “how patently unfair it is for families in D.C. to work hard, raise children and pay taxes, without having a vote in Congress.”
Obama’s official vehicles will begin using the symbolic license plates during the inauguration this weekend. They will remain on White House vehicles throughout the president’s four-year term.
“Attaching these plates to the presidential vehicles demonstrates the president’s commitment to the principle of full representation for the people of the District of Columbia and his willingness to fight for voting rights, home rule and budget autonomy for the District,” the White House said.
The city created the license plate in 2000, and President Bill Clinton put the tags on his limousine before he left office. They were taken off when President George W. Bush was inaugurated.
Obama carried the nation’s capital with more than 90 percent of the vote in 2008 and in 2012. But some have accused him of ignoring D.C. interests and snubbing his residential neighbors.
D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson visited the White House last week to press the issue with Obama advisers.
“It’s a small step, but it’s significant,” he said. “Our goal is full voting rights, to have the same rights and privileges that every citizen has. The license plates don’t give us that.”
There are 632,000 residents in the city, more than two states, Vermont and Wyoming, according to census figures.
Mayor Vincent Gray thanked Obama for turning a spotlight on the city.
“I appreciate the president agreeing to bring attention to this important issue during the inauguration festivities,” Gray said.
The first two years of Obama’s presidency were the best opportunity to gain representation for D.C. with Democrats controlling Congress. In 2009, the Senate passed a bill to give D.C. a vote on the House floor. But Republican senators added an amendment to dismantle the city’s tight gun control laws. The bill ultimately died in the House.
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the district’s nonvoting member of Congress who has fought for full voting rights for decades, also cheered Obama’s move.
“Kudos to the president for agreeing to a small but larger than life sign of his commitment to the district and its residents,” she said. “Each step must be counted as bringing us closer to our full entitlement as American citizens who pay more than our fair share of federal taxes and have served in all the nation’s wars, always without the rights those obligations demand.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25