A few weeks back, you may recall I gave a ‘Wish List’ for this New Year.
Two of these items are particularly relevant given the headlines of the past week. One, was my wish that Democrats and Republicans could finally realize that our suffering country is much more important than their petty squabbles, private perks, or corporate backers.
Needless to say, given the recent negotiations surrounding the Fiscal Cliff crisis, that one ain’t happening anytime soon.
But there’s still hope; if not with politics, then with people because I also had on my list the wish that we could cherish our families, our children and the sanctity of life even more than we do now.
And for those who’ve heard about the remarkably humane and purpose-filled act of Los Angeles lawyer, Tony Tolbert, you’ll know some of us are taking the sanctity of life pretty seriously.
Tolbert recently gave up his fully-furnished home in L.A. to a homeless family to live in for a year, rent-free, as they get back on their feet.
The 51 year-old attorney―who credits his father’s generosity as his example, and who justifies his act by saying it was simply the right thing to do―will move back in with his mother for the year.
Tolbert found the single-mother family he is giving his house to in a local shelter. The mother had no money and could not provide for her four children; and her oldest, due to shelter age limits, was not allowed to stay with the family at the shelter.
Talk about incredible acts of giving. Seriously, how many of us would give up our own home to complete strangers for their well-being?
Yes, I know there are some folks out there right now who are saying, “That’s crazy… as hard as I worked to get my house in the first place? That’s not gonna happen…”
Well maybe not, but I think the real point behind such remarkable acts of generosity is what Tolbert told CBS news, that quote-unquote, “You don’t have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or Oprah… We can do it wherever we are, with whatever we have…”
You see, generosity flows in many forms… some of us may decide to share our homes with families in need; some may mentor youth; others might feed the homeless, volunteer at a shelter, or share a special skill.
The point is, offer what you can.
Extraordinary people like Tony Tolbert remind us what is possible, what we are capable of.
I’ll leave you with these words from Tolbert himself:
“Kindness creates kindness. Generosity creates generosity. Love creates love. And I think if we can share some of that and have more stories about people doing nice things for other people, and fewer stories about people doing horrible things to other people, that’s a better world.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25