A few weeks back, you may recall I gave a ‘Wish List’ for this New Year.
Two of these items are particularly relevant given the headlines of the past week. One, was my wish that Democrats and Republicans could finally realize that our suffering country is much more important than their petty squabbles, private perks, or corporate backers.
Needless to say, given the recent negotiations surrounding the Fiscal Cliff crisis, that one ain’t happening anytime soon.
But there’s still hope; if not with politics, then with people because I also had on my list the wish that we could cherish our families, our children and the sanctity of life even more than we do now.
And for those who’ve heard about the remarkably humane and purpose-filled act of Los Angeles lawyer, Tony Tolbert, you’ll know some of us are taking the sanctity of life pretty seriously.
Tolbert recently gave up his fully-furnished home in L.A. to a homeless family to live in for a year, rent-free, as they get back on their feet.
The 51 year-old attorney―who credits his father’s generosity as his example, and who justifies his act by saying it was simply the right thing to do―will move back in with his mother for the year.
Tolbert found the single-mother family he is giving his house to in a local shelter. The mother had no money and could not provide for her four children; and her oldest, due to shelter age limits, was not allowed to stay with the family at the shelter.
Talk about incredible acts of giving. Seriously, how many of us would give up our own home to complete strangers for their well-being?
Yes, I know there are some folks out there right now who are saying, “That’s crazy… as hard as I worked to get my house in the first place? That’s not gonna happen…”
Well maybe not, but I think the real point behind such remarkable acts of generosity is what Tolbert told CBS news, that quote-unquote, “You don’t have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or Oprah… We can do it wherever we are, with whatever we have…”
You see, generosity flows in many forms… some of us may decide to share our homes with families in need; some may mentor youth; others might feed the homeless, volunteer at a shelter, or share a special skill.
The point is, offer what you can.
Extraordinary people like Tony Tolbert remind us what is possible, what we are capable of.
I’ll leave you with these words from Tolbert himself:
“Kindness creates kindness. Generosity creates generosity. Love creates love. And I think if we can share some of that and have more stories about people doing nice things for other people, and fewer stories about people doing horrible things to other people, that’s a better world.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30