A few weeks back, you may recall I gave a ‘Wish List’ for this New Year.
Two of these items are particularly relevant given the headlines of the past week. One, was my wish that Democrats and Republicans could finally realize that our suffering country is much more important than their petty squabbles, private perks, or corporate backers.
Needless to say, given the recent negotiations surrounding the Fiscal Cliff crisis, that one ain’t happening anytime soon.
But there’s still hope; if not with politics, then with people because I also had on my list the wish that we could cherish our families, our children and the sanctity of life even more than we do now.
And for those who’ve heard about the remarkably humane and purpose-filled act of Los Angeles lawyer, Tony Tolbert, you’ll know some of us are taking the sanctity of life pretty seriously.
Tolbert recently gave up his fully-furnished home in L.A. to a homeless family to live in for a year, rent-free, as they get back on their feet.
The 51 year-old attorney―who credits his father’s generosity as his example, and who justifies his act by saying it was simply the right thing to do―will move back in with his mother for the year.
Tolbert found the single-mother family he is giving his house to in a local shelter. The mother had no money and could not provide for her four children; and her oldest, due to shelter age limits, was not allowed to stay with the family at the shelter.
Talk about incredible acts of giving. Seriously, how many of us would give up our own home to complete strangers for their well-being?
Yes, I know there are some folks out there right now who are saying, “That’s crazy… as hard as I worked to get my house in the first place? That’s not gonna happen…”
Well maybe not, but I think the real point behind such remarkable acts of generosity is what Tolbert told CBS news, that quote-unquote, “You don’t have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or Oprah… We can do it wherever we are, with whatever we have…”
You see, generosity flows in many forms… some of us may decide to share our homes with families in need; some may mentor youth; others might feed the homeless, volunteer at a shelter, or share a special skill.
The point is, offer what you can.
Extraordinary people like Tony Tolbert remind us what is possible, what we are capable of.
I’ll leave you with these words from Tolbert himself:
“Kindness creates kindness. Generosity creates generosity. Love creates love. And I think if we can share some of that and have more stories about people doing nice things for other people, and fewer stories about people doing horrible things to other people, that’s a better world.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31