It’s a new year and Mellody Hobson is here to get us in shape financially for 2013.
So we avoided the fiscal cliff but there are other things in store for us in 2013 and I want you to be prepared. First of all, certain popular items are going to cost more.
For starters, cars will cost more. The government issued new fuel economy standards that require car companies to upgrade engines, and auto manufacturers are passing on those rising costs to drivers. The Toyota Camry will cost $175 more and for luxury cars, the 2013 Lexus CT 200h is nearly $3,000 more than last year’s model.
Next, grocery prices may rise as much as 4% according to the USDA. Last year’s drought led to a grass- and corn-feed shortage. That resulted in higher prices for beef, poultry and grain-related products. We avoided the dreaded “milk cliff” with a farm bill passed by Congress, but if that hadn’t happened the price of milk could have doubled overnight.
A third rising cost is health care. Employee health care premiums are expected to rise an average of 6% in 2013. Again, we’re looking at higher costs for employers who pass those expenses downward.
Finally, state college and university tuitions are expected to rise 4-5%. States have been feeling the economic squeeze and haven’t been able to keep up with rising tuition prices. Compounding that rising cost is the fact that financial aid isn’t rising.
I have one more, and you’re not going to like it. The price of copper is on the rise. Thanks to a move by the SEC to approve a fund to trade the metal, we could face copper scarcity and higher prices. Copper is used in plenty of consumer items, including residential water pipes, wire, pots, and kettles, and here’s the kicker, equipment for brewing beer. Who’d have thought that price of copper could affect how much you pay for a six-pack?
There are ways to save. For college students, it’s even more important to get that FAFSA form filled out early this year. That’s the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Deadlines vary state to state, but you need to get it in early, so get crackin’!
Also, for as many things that will cost more in 2013, there are popular items expected to cost less.
First, expect lower prices on streaming video. Netflix has a new competitor in Redbox which may force them to cut prices. Also, eBooks will cost less. Last spring, the Justice Department sued five major publishers (along with Apple) over eBook price-fixing charges. The suit was a major win for Amazon and is expected to lower prices on ebooks going forward. Finally, experts are predicting lower prices for solar power and big-screen HDTVs.
Last but certainly not least, oil analysts at Deutsche Bank are predicting pleasure at the pump for a change. They predict the price per barrel to go from $100 to $70, which means drivers will pay less to fill up. This is a great way to save after having to pay a little more for your new car. Next week, I’ll talk about a bunch of great ways to save on grocery shopping to offset the rising costs of food.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30