Every year, we are bombarded with “Year in Review” headlines. The best dressed, the top songs, and most fascinating people of the year. But I like to do my own “Year in Review,” a self-reflective recap that helps me start of the New Year richer in wisdom. Whether you view the experiences you’ve had over the last year as good or bad, each one offers an opportunity to head into the New Year better prepared than ever to live wisely and be resilient. Here’s what I learned. How about you?
1. Patience is relaxing.
From the moment I entered kindergarten a year early, I’ve always been on the fast track. I put a high value on doing things fast. Whether it was squeezing too much into my schedule, finishing college in three years or exceeding the speed limit, I always rushed towards a proverbial finish line. But this year, I sensed in my spirit a major shift. I learned this year that patience isn’t just a virtue is a more relaxing approach to life. Whether you are trying to figure if a relationship is right for you or whether it’s time to change careers, the answers don’t always come quickly. Be OK with that. Trust that divine timing is often not your timing – but it is perfect timing. Rather than rush, rest. Enjoy the journey.
2. Love is action.
True love is action – it’s what you do because you decide to love a person unconditionally. It is not always easy, but it allows you the stability of knowing where you stand – independent of what the other person does. Of course, sometimes love means making tough choices in a loving way – choices that empower you to love yourself. That’s good, too. Loving yourself is the best way to attract the kind of love you really want and deserve.
3. The key to success is sticking with it.
This year was our business’ best year yet. In nearly 12 years of business, there have been times when I was tempted to give up, get a job, or doubt my path. But I never acted on those temptations. Deep down, I know I am called to this work. It is a part of who I am. So whatever it required, I’ve stuck with it. Thank goodness. I can’t imagine doing anything else than inspiring you to get unstuck, be unstoppable and live the fulfilling life you were called to live.
4. Happiness is embracing what is and saying, “Thank you for this life of mine.”
I know you have goals. In fact, as humans we can’t be happy without goals. We need something to aim for. But while we are aiming – during that period in the meantime when we haven’t quite obtained what we want – there is a lesson being offered. It is a gift. It is the chance to learn to be happy “while,” not just happy “when.” Happy while you wait. Not just happy when you arrive. When you master that, you discover the key to contentment. Embrace what is. And find reasons to be grateful right where you are.
My challenge to you: Start this year richer than you were a year ago. Reflect on the wisdom you’ve gained over the last 12 months. What have you learned in the last 12 months? How will you apply those lessons in the New Year?
Valorie Burton (www.valorieburton.com) helps people get unstuck so they can be unstoppable. She is the author of multiple bestsellers, including Successful Women Think Differently and Your 5-Minute Personal Coach Follow her on Twitter @valorieburton and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/valorieburtonfanpage. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30