It’s 2013, and even though it’s been thrown in our faces for the last three weeks, one of us will still write 1-3-12 on a check. It’ s just one of those things that can’t be avoided. And speaking of writing checks and spending money, let’s not get reeled in on any more sales gimmicks. We’ve had Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday, Christmas sales, after-Christmas sales, New Year’s sales, after-New Year’s sales … and probably after-Kwanzaa sales too. Don’t let your shopping be led by promises of big bargains. It’s too bad the things we really need never go on sale. For once, I’d like to see an ad that says half-off on your power bill or an Early Bird prescription sale for the elderly.
And don’t get me started about all the diets and promises to do everything from quitting smoking to reading the Bible more often that we pledge every first of the year. If saying out loud or writing it down brings you closer to your goals, then keep at it. Who am I to judge? I guess making resolutions is a tradition, like cooking black eyed peas and greens on the first of the year for good luck and financial abundance, watching the Rose Parade, football games and trying to get it all in if you had to go back to work the next day.
By the way, is it just me, or is going back to work on a Wednesday just plain wrong?
I’m excited about the New Year and hoping it’s good for everyone. My hopes for 2013 are pretty simple: I hope Katt Williams realizes that Suge Knight is a poor choice for a life coach. I hope not to ever be on an elevator ride alone with fired Chicago Bears’ coach Lovie Smith. It’s not my fault! I hope that the makers of fruit cakes and BlackBerry’s will figure out what they have in common. It’s time to stop making both. And finally, I hope nobody gets caught up and names their new born baby Django.
Happy New Year, everybody!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25