January 1, 1863, marks the day that Emancipation Proclamation under President Abraham Lincoln would be signed. The order would call for the freedom of over 3.1 million slaves under the Confederacy. It was said that Abraham Lincoln found the practice of slavery barbaric but he knew that that would not appeal to neither the Union or Confederacy as a simple basis for the Civil War. There were countless slaves who joined the Union army to fight for civil human rights as a result. This action spring-boarded Lincoln’s push for the proclamation.
Lincoln first mentioned the new order in July 1862. He sent a preliminary version that September after the Battle of Antietam. This did not include several states that were not in the Union, like Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware and parts of Louisiana. As the Union Army advanced control in the civil war, more slaves and states were included in the proclamation.
Lincoln could not have jump-started the process without opposition in Congress. Thaddeus Stevens made an argument in 1862 that the end of slavery would ruin the economy. In small steps toward the January 1st decision, the Law Enacting an Additional Article of War was passed, stating that the Union Army was under law not to return escaped slaves to their original owners. That was soon followed with the April decision that slave owners would be compensated for their losses. In the District of Columbia, all slaves had been freed by April 16th.
It’s important to note that the masses of slaves were not truly freed until the 13th Amendment passed in February 1865, which outlawed slavery. The word about the freedom of slaves was slow to reach the South. Those in Galveston, Texas heard the news on June 19th, which is now the annual Juneteenth celebration. All states had not completed ratifications until December 1865.
The United States Postal Service has just issued a 150th-anniversary edition stamp commemorating the Emancipation Proclamation. Designed by Gail Anderson aka “Gail Curly,” the “Emancipation Proclamation Forever” U.S. postal stamp goes on sale today. It is a follow-up to the 100th-anniversary stamp by George Olden, who was the first African American to design a U.S. postage stamp. Olden released his version on August 16, 1963.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25