So after last week’s commentary on the recent tragedies in the NFL, the subject I most wanted to avoid this week is death.
Sadly, the horrific and overwhelming events at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT this past week have pretty much made that impossible.
What I would like to do today is focus – not so much on death, but on life because life is bigger and larger than what happens here in our limited time on earth.
As a Christian, my faith teaches me that, although my body and flesh will cease to function one day, my essence will live on and experience the magnificence of heaven.
In fact, five days from now, we Christians celebrate this very concept of eternal life on the most cherished and holy day of the year.
I want to talk about this because, to be quite honest, I’m not sure what I could say that would even begin to appropriately address the magnitude of the grief, the horror and the impact of the Newtown Massacre on the parents of the victims, the family, community, and on all of us and when our words fall short, this is often when our faith takes over.
As a parent and a person of faith, I refuse to believe the lives of those 26 people, 20 of them children, have lost their essence.
We must continue to acknowledge them and celebrate them, not for their tragic deaths, but for their brief and precious lives here on earth, and their ongoing presence with us in the spiritual realm.
We must also hold up their families with our prayers and our giving… they’re going to need us right now… The United Way has set up a Sandy Hook Elementary School fund that you can connect with via their site at unitedway.org… search for “Sandy Hook…”
Finally, I want to offer you this anonymous poem in hopes it will comfort someone, with the knowledge that our loved ones never truly die as long as we keep their memories and their spirits alive.
It’s called When God Calls Little Children:
When God calls little children, to dwell with Him above
we mortals sometime question the wisdom of His love
For no heartache compares with, the death of one small child
who does so much to make our world, seem wonderful and mild.
Perhaps God tires of calling the aged to his fold
so He picks a rosebud before it can grow old
God knows how much we need them, and so He takes but few
to make the land of Heaven more beautiful to view
Believing this is difficult, still somehow we must try
the saddest word mankind knows, will always be “Goodbye”
So when a little child departs, we who are left behind,
must realize how much God loves children
because Angels are hard to find.
Until Next Time, this is Stephanie in Love and Hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25