Blessed are the mourners; for they shall be comforted.
When I tried to process how and why such horrible tragedies like the Connecticut shooting could happen, someone sent me that scripture.
Comfort is a start, but like President Obama said when he addressed the nation Friday with teary eyes, it’s time to take action. Like the rest of the country, he doesn’t want to ever see a scene like we saw in Newtown anywhere again.
This isn’t a political issue; this is a human rights issue. Every citizen in this country has the right to feel safe on the streets, in the mall, at the gas station or in kindergarten class. It shouldn’t matter whether it’s in a rich suburb, a rural farming community, a working class neighborhood or the inner city. We should feel outraged anytime a human is a victim of gun violence.
Before we spend another dime fighting for the freedom of others across the world or deploy another soldier, we need to demand that gun laws be changed and that the military or somebody take back the streets in Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, New Orleans and everywhere else that crime and violence run rampant.
I don’t want to hear a single word about how changing the laws won’t stop guns from getting into the wrong hands. It won’t stop all of it, but it will stop some of it. Increased services for the mentally ill are part of the problem too and must be addressed.
In times like these, we all look to each other to gain some kind of understanding on how we can begin to heal. Thank you for all of your Facebook posts expressing sadness, sympathy, confusion and, in some cases, anger over what’s happened. Don’t let it end there. Help me come up with a plan to hold our elected officials accountable for making some changes. Like so many of you, I will go on with my life, my vacation, my Christmas and, by the first of the year, be right back in my comfort zone. I don’t want that to happen. At the first of the year—and for those parents whose lives, vacations and Christmases will never be the same again—I want to find out what I can do to make a difference.
Let’s not be cynics and ask why it’s taken a shooting in a white, upscale neighborhood to cause us to force change. The point is if we don’t force change now, it will continue to happen. We banded together as a community and a nation and elected a president. We can do it again to stop senseless violence, starting with stricter gun control laws.
God bless the families in Newtown. And God bless families all over this country who have lost friends and family to senseless gun violence.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31