Six-year-old Ana Marquez-Green has been confirmed as one of the 20 children killed by gunman Adam Lanza in the horrific attack on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, reports CBS News.
Taking to his Facebook page to acknowledge concerned friends and fans, Greene, who until recently taught in the University of Manitoba’s jazz program, said that his daughter is in a better place:
Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words of support. As we work through this nightmare, we’re reminded how much we’re loved and supported on this earth and by our Father in heaven. As much as she’s needed here and missed by her mother, brother and me, Ana beat us all to paradise. I love you sweetie girl.
Ana’s grandmother, Elba Marquez, told The Associated Press late Friday that she had just visited for Thanksgiving and she cannot believe that something so horrific could happen in idyllic Newtown.
“They looked for the best school for their daughter, the best,” Marquez said. “It was a beautiful place, just beautiful. What happened does not match up with the place where they live.”
Scroll down for names, ages and photo gallery of the victims.
Ana’s 9-year-old brother, Isaiah, was in another classroom at the school and unharmed, said Ana’s great-uncle, Jorge Marquez, mayor of the Puerto Rican town of Maunabo.
The family has already flown in from Puerto Rico to Connecticut for the funeral, reports the Huffington Post.
Guitarist Mike Moreno shared his deep sadness and said that Ana’s death was a loss for the entire Jazz community:
The tragedy in CT hit too close to home today. We had to acknowledge and play a tribute to all the victims of the tragedy during the Stevie Wonder show with Glasper tonight. But our thoughts were especially with our friend Jimmy Greene, a great father, friend, saxophonist, and human being who lost his daughter today in this senseless act. Since I see the news is already leaked here, I feel more free to say this. It was a very emotional encore tribute for Jimmy’s family and the other victims. There is nothing that can explain how someone who lives his whole life the right way, being kind to everyone, loving his wife and kids, and staying on the right path should have something like this happen. If you know Jimmy you know what I mean. He’s a special presence. And I’m not just saying this because of the tragedy. His nickname is “The Gentle Giant” for good reason. He is the real deal. Friends please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Sandy Hook Elementary Victims’ Names Released: Saxophonist Jimmy Greene’s Daughter Among Dead