Lights, Camera, Action! That’s the typical call of attention for the start of something big in Hollywood, but on Saturday, November 3, 2012, the calls were for Hollywood’s African-American A-listers like Quest Love and The Roots, Anika Noni Rose, Holly Robinson Peete, Terry and Rebecca Crews, Jimmy Jam, Tracy Morgan and of course, the guest of honor, Eddie Murphy, who were blasted by paparazzi and press on the hottest ‘black carpet’ of the season. The crowd of stars gathered for Spike TV’s “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” in celebration of the veteran comedic genius’ decades of contribution to entertainment.
Spike TV left no stone unturned from the front door to the stage set, pulling out all the stops. From the moment guests arrived, their wish was the demand of the more than 150 wait staff holding choice top-shelf beverages and hors d’oeuvres fit for royalty. The who’s who was seated on the lower level with the guest of honor, who arrived with his new girlfriend carefully placed on his arm. The tall, blonde has been scoped as 33-year-old Paige Butcher, an Australian model.
While the new school Murphy lovers have enjoyed his success from his more recent films: The Nutty Professor (1996), Norbit (2007), Shrek (2001-2010) and Tower Heist (2011) to name a few, there’s the classic stand-up and late-night belly busting gigs that put Eddie Murphy on the map as a the lead architect of funny. We know them as the single-name performances that need no introduction: Delirious (1983) and Raw (1987). Through Murphy’s pure, unadulterated and funny-as-hell stand-up, the entire country – the entire world – took notice of a thin framed black man in the most leather ever seen on one person at one time, who made grown folks recite words like “Goonie Goo Goo.“ His choice of the purple and red leather suits became a must repeat among his fans, as told by friend Adam Sandler, who wore a red leather tux to his own Bah Mitzvah in honor of his mentor.
On the night of Eddie’s top honors, the Saban Theater’s black carpet held the presence of Murphy’s friends and family. Among the very special guests was Arsenio Hall, who is profoundly identified with Murphy in Coming to America (1988) as his trusty sidekick Semmi. Hall worked the carpet for over an hour, giving the press his latest and greatest. Hall presented a huge highlight during his roast-like presentation, spilling the true story behind the casting for his role as Semmi. Hall confessed to initially urging Murphy to give black actors a chance instead of using himself with costumes and makeup for different characters. When Murphy told him he would also be cast in several roles with heavy makeup, which meant more money for himself, Hall’s response was, “Let them [expletive] find their own jobs, Let’s do this!”
Other presenters of the night were actor Russell Brand, who’s off-color jokes about the King of Pop induced much-expected side-eyes, and smirks. Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Brett Ratner, who gave his own ear-wrenching version of “Party All the Time,” also made appearances. Martin Lawrence, Charlie Murphy (Eddie’s brother) and Keenan Ivory Wayans took the stage to roast and toast the legend formerly known as Buckwheat (Saturday Night Live).
Among the VIP guests was Brandon T. Jackson, who will be starring as Murphy’s son in the upcoming TV sequel of the 80’s hit film “Beverly Hills Cop.” Eddie Murphy will be Executive Producer of “Beverly Hills Cop” the TV series.
One of the most surprising and special moments of the night was the impromptu performance of Murphy’s longtime friend Stevie Wonder. Murphy runs onstage for a dynamic duet of “Higher Ground.”
Murphy’s final stop wrapped in the press room, where he was asked about the possibility of a "Coming to America" sequel. Murphy hesitated then responded by saying [paraphrase] "Nobody would come see that (expletive). I’m middle aged. What? He gets divorced in that one?"
“Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” will air Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 10pm ET/PT on Spike TV.
To check out the photo gallery, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30