Tom, Sybil, Jay Good Morning. We are in the final weeks between the 1st and 2nd terms of the Obama administration and there is much still to do before his 2nd Inauguration. But before we get into what we have to do, let’s take a moment to acknowledge what many of us have done. As I stated last week, I did not see an apathetic black voter population, but a silently diligent one. And in states all over the country that stood to be true as we saw record numbers of voters turn out. In Ohio the black turnout in 2012 was actually higher than it was in 2008. Well Tom, that didn’t happen by accident.
So I want to give a big thanks to the TJMS and other black radio shows that even when they were not getting big ad buys were pushing the need to turn out, educating people on voter protection and providing them with resources like 866MYVOTE1. But in places like Ohio, VA, FL, PA and other states, it was about the people on the ground. Shout out to 1911 United Super PAC, and while I try not to toot my own horn, today I will. And it’s not really about me, but the organization I worked with during this cycle. Black Men Vote was the first Super Pac and one of the first initiatives of its kind to target specifically black men during an election. Shout Out to Pras of the Fugees who put up our initial $250k and more, along with the other black men from around the country who wanted to fund Black men encouraging black men to stand up for themselves. To Tim Simons who ran the campaign and most important the people on the ground.
1.Operation Step Up – Columbus – turned out over 20,000 members of the Somali community
2. Potomac Coalition – Youngstown
3. Greg Moore and the NAACP Voter Fund – Cleveland, Toledo, & Cincinnati
4. Dr. Reese (forgot the name of the organization) – Cincinnati
Tom, these folks represent the folks on the ground all over the country that didn’t need a Vote or Die to know that they needed to Vote.
Now it is time to work. Our President is pushing the Republican Party to work with him on this fiscal cliff. He needs your support.
Engage your member of congress – continue to let your voices be heard to protect the working poor and the middle class. Letting the Bush Tax Cuts for the rich become a thing of the past is not the silver bullet to improving our economy, but it’s a step in the right direction.
Family, use this momentum to support and challenge the President. If you have an agenda…push it. Congress and the President can only respond to what we push.
Finally, remember that in less than a year there are local elections. Let’s not allow what happened in 2009 and 2010 happen in 2013 and 2014. Black community you did it. Now let’s work to do it again and again and again.
Tom, I’m Jeff…and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25