Tom, Sybil, Jay Good Morning. We are in the final weeks between the 1st and 2nd terms of the Obama administration and there is much still to do before his 2nd Inauguration. But before we get into what we have to do, let’s take a moment to acknowledge what many of us have done. As I stated last week, I did not see an apathetic black voter population, but a silently diligent one. And in states all over the country that stood to be true as we saw record numbers of voters turn out. In Ohio the black turnout in 2012 was actually higher than it was in 2008. Well Tom, that didn’t happen by accident.
So I want to give a big thanks to the TJMS and other black radio shows that even when they were not getting big ad buys were pushing the need to turn out, educating people on voter protection and providing them with resources like 866MYVOTE1. But in places like Ohio, VA, FL, PA and other states, it was about the people on the ground. Shout out to 1911 United Super PAC, and while I try not to toot my own horn, today I will. And it’s not really about me, but the organization I worked with during this cycle. Black Men Vote was the first Super Pac and one of the first initiatives of its kind to target specifically black men during an election. Shout Out to Pras of the Fugees who put up our initial $250k and more, along with the other black men from around the country who wanted to fund Black men encouraging black men to stand up for themselves. To Tim Simons who ran the campaign and most important the people on the ground.
1.Operation Step Up – Columbus – turned out over 20,000 members of the Somali community
2. Potomac Coalition – Youngstown
3. Greg Moore and the NAACP Voter Fund – Cleveland, Toledo, & Cincinnati
4. Dr. Reese (forgot the name of the organization) – Cincinnati
Tom, these folks represent the folks on the ground all over the country that didn’t need a Vote or Die to know that they needed to Vote.
Now it is time to work. Our President is pushing the Republican Party to work with him on this fiscal cliff. He needs your support.
Engage your member of congress – continue to let your voices be heard to protect the working poor and the middle class. Letting the Bush Tax Cuts for the rich become a thing of the past is not the silver bullet to improving our economy, but it’s a step in the right direction.
Family, use this momentum to support and challenge the President. If you have an agenda…push it. Congress and the President can only respond to what we push.
Finally, remember that in less than a year there are local elections. Let’s not allow what happened in 2009 and 2010 happen in 2013 and 2014. Black community you did it. Now let’s work to do it again and again and again.
Tom, I’m Jeff…and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31