First of all, I want to send out thoughts and prayers to all those affected by the storm and still struggling to get their lives back in order.
Well, the important month of November is finally here and, of course, next week, Americans will go to the polls–(kudos to those who have already voted)–to cast their vote.
And as tragic as it is, the storm actually provides a context for this upcoming election in a poignant way.
You see, people were hurting long before the storm all over the country folks are poor, sick, lacking healthcare and hungry and while some may feel the folks suffering are to blame for their own circumstances, I want you to consider two things.
First, a storm can take on many forms in our lives. For some, our storm could be a family tragedy, a serious disability, a youthful mistake, or a mental illness.
None of us is immune to the debilitating events life may throw at us and all of us can certainly benefit from help while we’re working through our storm.
I’d be hard-pressed to find anyone, rich or poor, who hasn’t benefitted from some sort of help at critical points in their lives.
Second, many of those suffering the most are children and, needless to say, they’re certainly not at fault for the troubling situations they were born into, and they have no control over the storms affecting them.
So why am I bringing this up today, after the storm, and before the election? I bring it up because, when we go to the polls this Election Day, we should not forget these people–all around us, young and old–suffering from the storms in life.
You see, many of us have short memories. During the earlier part of the 20th century, rich people were the ones losing everything and jumping out of windows.
In fact, the reason President Roosevelt initiated his New Deal policies and social programs in the 1930s was to stabilize the economy while helping people suffering from the crippling impact of the major storm known as the Great Depression.
This Election Day, we can also help those struggling by voting for candidates with policies designed to help families in need, to children in need, and to help get us through the storm.
So let’s start right now with those in immediate need from the so-called “Frankenstorm” and aiding the relief effort by going to the redcross.org to donate or learn how you can help.
And then, on Election Day–without telling you who to vote for–my suggestion is to vote with your heart as much as you vote with your brain. Because voting for the well-being of your fellow citizen is smart since, rich or poor, nothing is promised to any of us.
And as they say, “all of us are only one catastrophe away from poverty and ruin.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30