First of all, I want to send out thoughts and prayers to all those affected by the storm and still struggling to get their lives back in order.
Well, the important month of November is finally here and, of course, next week, Americans will go to the polls–(kudos to those who have already voted)–to cast their vote.
And as tragic as it is, the storm actually provides a context for this upcoming election in a poignant way.
You see, people were hurting long before the storm all over the country folks are poor, sick, lacking healthcare and hungry and while some may feel the folks suffering are to blame for their own circumstances, I want you to consider two things.
First, a storm can take on many forms in our lives. For some, our storm could be a family tragedy, a serious disability, a youthful mistake, or a mental illness.
None of us is immune to the debilitating events life may throw at us and all of us can certainly benefit from help while we’re working through our storm.
I’d be hard-pressed to find anyone, rich or poor, who hasn’t benefitted from some sort of help at critical points in their lives.
Second, many of those suffering the most are children and, needless to say, they’re certainly not at fault for the troubling situations they were born into, and they have no control over the storms affecting them.
So why am I bringing this up today, after the storm, and before the election? I bring it up because, when we go to the polls this Election Day, we should not forget these people–all around us, young and old–suffering from the storms in life.
You see, many of us have short memories. During the earlier part of the 20th century, rich people were the ones losing everything and jumping out of windows.
In fact, the reason President Roosevelt initiated his New Deal policies and social programs in the 1930s was to stabilize the economy while helping people suffering from the crippling impact of the major storm known as the Great Depression.
This Election Day, we can also help those struggling by voting for candidates with policies designed to help families in need, to children in need, and to help get us through the storm.
So let’s start right now with those in immediate need from the so-called “Frankenstorm” and aiding the relief effort by going to the redcross.org to donate or learn how you can help.
And then, on Election Day–without telling you who to vote for–my suggestion is to vote with your heart as much as you vote with your brain. Because voting for the well-being of your fellow citizen is smart since, rich or poor, nothing is promised to any of us.
And as they say, “all of us are only one catastrophe away from poverty and ruin.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31