Boley, Oklahoma was established in 1904 as one of the largest and most thriving black towns in the country. Formed after the Great Migration, when thousands of blacks moved up north after slavery, Boley was founded on land that was owned by a black woman, Abigail Burnett McCormick. McCormick had inherited the land from her father, a Creek Freedman.
Abigail McCormick invited blacks far and wide to come and establish a home. She was named mayor of the town. Booker T. Washington referred to Boley as “the most interesting and enterprising negro town in the U.S.”
Six years after being established, Boley, Oklahoma grew to a population of 4,000. The historical town garnered attention for building the first Black-owned electric company and the first Black-owned bank in the country. The people took care of the town, establishing five grocery stores, five hotels, seven restaurants, four cotton gins, three drug stores, a jewelry store, four department stores, two insurance companies, two photographers and an ice plant. It became the place for the annual meetings of many fraternities, including Eastern Stars and Black Masons.
All was positive in the town of Boley until 1932, when the gang led by Pretty Boy Floyd attempted robbery of the Farmers & Merchants Bank. The outlaws consisted of three men, two of them white. They would kill the bank's president, but the quick hands of the Boley officers never allowed the men to flee the scene alive.
In 1975, the town of Boley was declared a historical landmark. Though its popularity and population fell during the Great Depression, Boley, Oklahoma continues to live, with its annual Boley Rodeo and their Founders Day Celebration. It is also the home of Smokarama Incorporated, a manufacturer of pressure smokers for smoking meats.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
24 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 24
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 24
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 24
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 24
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 24
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 24
7. new new
7 of 24
8. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
8 of 24
9. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
9 of 24
10. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
10 of 24
11. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
11 of 24
12. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
12 of 24
13. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
13 of 24
14. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
14 of 24
15. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
15 of 24
16. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
16 of 24
17. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
17 of 24
18. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
18 of 24
19. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
19 of 24
20. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
20 of 24
21. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
21 of 24
22. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
22 of 24
23. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
23 of 24
24. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
24 of 24