NBA legend Magic Johnson says he’s got President Barack Obama’s back, even though it may set him back a few million dollars if he wins re-election.
In an interview on CNN Tuesday, Johnson said he still supports Obama despite the president’s call for millionaires to pay a greater share in taxes compared to middle class Americans.
“Nothing has changed, I’m still a big supporter of President Obama,” Johnson told CNN’s Erin Burnett. “I think that he inherited a mess. It took him a long time to really wrap his arms around the mess, and he’s doing a good job of trying to bring the economy back, trying to get us jobs.”
Johnson said “could he have done a better job? Of course, of course. Will he do a better job if gets four more years? I think he will.”
Johnson has made millions as a superstar guard for the Los Angeles Lakers and in retirement as a movie theater chain owner and a successful entrepreneur who owns a piece of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team.
When reminded that Obama wants millionaires to pay more in taxes and wants owners of corporate jets to pay more, Johnson laughed and flashed his trademark smile.
“I know he’s talking about taxing planes – I own a plane,” Johnson said. “I own a plane, thanks a lot, President Obama. But I still support him.”
Johnson also expressed support for actress Stacey Dash, who expressed support for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney in a tweet and was blasted by blacks and other Obama supporters.
“Vote for Romney. The only choice for your future. @mittromney @teamromney #mittromney #VOTE #voteromney,” she tweeted.
For the star who appeared in the movie “Clueless” and television series “The Game,” a single tweet has caused her a lot of grief.
“RACIAL DRAFT: I LIKE TO REQUEST A TRADE TO SEND STACEYDASH TO THE CAUCASIANS TO AQUIRE BILL CLINTON TO THE BLACKS,” one opposing tweet read.
“It’s a shame that Stacey is getting attacked like this because she has a right to vote for Romney, if that’s her choice,” Johnson said. “But at the same time, I know that President Obama, being the first African-American to get into the White House, is big for all of us.”
Johnson predicted that Dash will be among the few black voters to cast a ballot for Romney on Election Day.
“Will African-Americans vote for Romney? Probably not,” he said. “It’s not going to happen. He’ll probably get five percent, two percent, something like that. One thing African-Americans are going to do: They’re either go to vote for President Obama or they’re going to stay home and vote for nobody.”
A poll released this week by the Pew Research Center found that only seven percent of black Americans have a favorable view of Romney while 88 percent have a favorable view of Obama.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25