DETROIT (AP) — Detroit's police chief stepped down Monday after a week of embarrassing revelations about a sexual relationship with a subordinate, forcing the city to search for a fifth leader in four years for a department dealing with one of the nation's highest violent-crime rates.
During a news conference, Mayor Dave Bing said he didn't force Ralph Godbee's departure after 25 years in the department and the last two as chief. Still, he said it was the "right decision" for Godbee to leave.
"He was very contrite, I think embarrassed," Bing said. "He felt he had let me down. He felt he had let the department down. He felt he had let the citizens of Detroit down. We're not perfect individuals, and a lot of us make mistakes. This one was very costly."
Godbee has not publicly commented on the revelations of his affair with Angelica Robinson, an internal-affairs officer. There was no mention of the scandal in an eight-paragraph letter from Godbee to Bing that announced the retirement. A copy was released to reporters after the news conference.
Bing placed Godbee on a 30-day suspension last week pending an investigation into the claims by Robinson's attorney that the 37-year-old woman had wanted the relationship to end but that Godbee did not.
Robinson posted a photo of herself with her police gun in her mouth on the social media site Twitter after learning Godbee was at a police conference a week ago in San Diego with another woman, attorney David Robinson said.
He said Godbee had other officers locate Angelica Robinson and put her under surveillance.
The scandal is another punch in the gut for a department already demoralized by the city's financial woes. Beat officers are working 12-hour days on top of having to take 10 percent pay cuts.
"We cannot look at this incident as an indictment across the entire 2,600-plus police officers," Bing said. "They're under a lot of stress and strain. I sympathize with them. I empathize with them."
Godbee was appointed to the $140,400-a-year chief's job in 2010, after Warren Evans was fired partly for a relationship with another officer, Lt. Monique Patterson.
Godbee also had a romantic relationship with Patterson when she was his subordinate and before she began dating Evans.
The mayor told reporters Monday that he had talked to Godbee "on more than one occasion" about his relationships.
"He confided in me that he had changed his ways," Bing said. "I had no reason not to believe that. … He didn't live up to those expectations and it leads us to where we are."
Godbee joined the department in 1987 at age 19 and rose to assistant chief in 2007. He left the force but returned as assistant chief in July 2009 when Evans was hired.
Assistant Chief Chester Logan, who had assumed Godbee's responsibilities during the brief suspension, will serve as interim chief while the city conducts a national search for a successor. Logan, an officer for 38 years, said he likely will apply for the permanent job.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31