So, of course, I watched the presidential debate last night but I’m not going to analyze it since that will be done a million times over.
What actually struck me last night as I watched the debate is the obvious yet still stunning fact that, in this day and age, with an African American president, an African American Attorney General, and a number of African American governors, mayors, judges and elected officials across this land, a substantial number of people will be denied their opportunity to vote for one of these candidates come November simply because they look like you and me.
Now some of you may have heard about this Tea Party-affiliated group called True the Vote that has pledged to deploy as many as one million poll watchers “to challenge and confront other Americans as they go to the polls in November.”
And get this… True the Vote has stated they want to make the experience of voting “like driving and seeing the police following you.”
Amazing. Think about it. In 2012, after all these years, African Americans are still fighting to protect our basic right to vote.
To clarify, despite such antidemocratic and racist groups taking it upon themselves to challenge us at the polls, the real challenges to our right to vote are not coming from them or from a bunch of guys riding horses while wearing sheets on their heads.
They are coming from governments, state legislatures and our elected officials.
At least 30 states are enacting voter ID laws or similar measures to significantly affect our ability to vote, steps that will have a disproportionate impact on people of color.
These measures are being put in place even though it has already been shown that fraud by voters at the polls in America rarely happens.
Still, a number of states are requiring a government-issued photo ID, eliminating early and weekend voting, purging voter lists, and making registration less accessible.
In a country that prides itself on being the world’s foremost democracy, this is unacceptable and unlike last night, there should be no debating that.
So once again, it’s time for us to act. Along with contacting your legislators to speak out against voter suppression bills or laws in your state, the Urban League is taking part in a voter empowerment initiative called Occupy the Vote. You can go to the site iamempowered.com and click on their ‘Occupy the Vote’ heading to learn more about ways you can protect our right to vote.
I’ll end with an all-too-familiar phrase from one of the powerful spirituals that we black folks marched to, prayed to, fought to, died to, and triumphed to during the Civil Rights era.
It was a timely rallying call back then; it is even more timely now. And it’s this:
“Ain’t gonna let nobody turn us around.”
Until Next Time, this is Stephanie in Love and Hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31