What tax tips do you have for the unemployed?
The current unemployment rate is 8.3%. So first, remember that you’re not alone. And when tax time comes around, make sure you take all the possible deductions. If you are looking for a job, you can deduct expenses like resume preparation, headhunters, postage and gas mileage. One critical caveat: You have to keep meticulous records and make sure you only claim legitimate expenses; If you try to deduct that interview suit, new haircut or manicure, the IRS will cry foul. One general rule of thumb to follow is that anything that can be used for purposes other than your job hunt can't be deducted.
Any other warnings?
Yes. You only qualify for tax deductions if you’re looking for a job within your industry. First-time job seekers like college graduates do not qualify; and neither do people headed back to the workforce after a long hiatus.
Job search costs must also exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income to qualify as deductible expenses, which shouldn't be a problem for most out-of-work job seekers, but could prevent some freelancers or self-employed taxpayers from being able to claim them.
And don't worry: You can still deduct the costs of a job search even if you weren't hired.
Any other deductions our listeners should remember?
Health care costs can be a major expense for many Americans, and unemployment can be a rude awaking after you’ve become accustomed to an employee-sponsored health plan with reasonable co-payments. After your health insurance coverage is extended for a few months by COBRA, you're on your own.
The good news is that you are allowed to deduct all un-reimbursed out-of-pocket medical expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income. That may seem like a high limit, but when you’re taking in a lower income, it’s easier to reach than you might expect considering all the medical expenses you can deduct, which include COBRA insurance payments or individual insurance coverage, out-of-pocket doctor's visits, unreimbursed hospital bills, prescription drugs, co-payments, and travel (mileage) for medical treatment. Again, be sure to save all your records and receipts.
Any other tips?
It might seem counterintuitive, but any unemployment compensation you receive from the United States government (both federal and state) is also taxable by the United States government. You have to claim those earnings. According to a survey, by H&R Block, nearly 40 percent of taxpayers had no idea that unemployment benefits were taxable.
To avoid the sticker shock of paying all of your unemployment compensation taxes in April, you can choose to have taxes withheld from your unemployment checks throughout the year. Just submit the appropriate tax documents to the office that sends you your benefits. As hard as it may be to budget, experts recommend you elect those withholdings on the front end.
And finally, although you’ll still have to pay taxes, you might qualify for free income tax filing. Anyone who has an adjusted gross income of $57,000 or less qualifies for free federal tax return through the IRS free file alliance program.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31