NEW YORK (AP) — While its rivals covered the solemn commemoration of the first plane striking the World Trade Center on Tuesday, NBC's "Today" show aired Kardashian family matriarch Kris Jenner talking about her breast augmentation.
It was an embarrassing moment for the once-dominant morning show, now often beaten by ABC's "Good Morning America" in the ratings, and showed the continued delicacy of Sept. 11 memories for television.
Even "Good Morning America," which had Jessica Simpson as a guest host in its second hour on Tuesday, cut away from its usual pop culture-oriented lineup late in its show to air ceremonies at 8:48 a.m. EDT, the exact moment 11 years ago when the first plane hit the World Trade Center. The "CBS This Morning" show, CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC all covered the moment, too.
NBC pointed out that "Today" had a lengthy interview with a World Trade Center survivor earlier in its show and another segment talking about memories of the event. While "Today" covered the annual moment of silence last year for the 10th anniversary, it had not in a few of the previous years, spokeswoman Megan Kopf said.
The omission would likely have been less noticeable if NBC hadn't been airing a segment with reality television's most frequently-seen family instead, leading to some ridicule on social media.
The "Today" show did insert coverage of the moment into the program's later West Coast feed.
"We pause now to remember the moment when the first plane hit the World Trade Center," ABC's George Stephanopoulos said as the screen showed the ceremony taking place at ground zero.
The network then switched abruptly to an interview with actor Richard Gere, who tried to smooth the segue by saying: "It is hard not to get caught up. That moment seems so fresh."
CBS concentrated primarily on the White House, where President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama came out on the lawn to observe a moment of silence at 8:48. Fox News aired a split screen of the Obamas and the World Trade Center ceremony.
MSNBC, as has been its recent tradition, aired more than an hour of NBC News' coverage of the Sept. 11 attacks as it happened that day.
All of New York City's local broadcast affiliates took several hours out of their usual morning programming to air the annual recitation of names of people killed at the World Trade Center. It was thought that after the 10th anniversary that annual ceremony would no longer be shown on local TV, but it's an important event for families of the victims.
The New York Daily News' front cover showed a picture of ground zero and the headline "Remember them" on Tuesday. The New York Times and New York Post did not mention the anniversary on their front pages.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31