The 2012 VMAs were up against the Democratic National Convention and last year's memorable VMAs where Beyonce announced her pregnancy. Basically, they needed to do something big to compare to these two.
Rihanna opened the show with a sizzling performance packed with dancers and large balloons, Kevin Hart kept the evening light with funny jokes, and Lil' Wayne bizarrely crowd surfed. It definitely fell short of last year's show but here are some of the best and worst moments below.
Alicia Keys debuted her new single "Girl On Fire" and she definitely set the stage ablaze while inviting Olympic gold Medalist Gabby Douglas on stage while belting out over her classic piano play and hip-hop beats.
Most Surprising Moment
In very Beyonce-esque fashion, Amber Rose showed off her baby bump in a super-fitting black lace dress on the red carpet. Rumors have surrounded her pregnancy for months now but the blonde-bombshell has continuously denied the rumor, leaving her come out party for the VMAs. Congratulations Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose on the new baby!
Rihanna rocked bright red lips, a new pixie haircut, and a white Grecian-style dress that wowed everyone at the VMAs last night. She was simple but stunning, the opposite of our worst dressed winner.
Curly-Blonde wig, black sequence, mesh, and clear goggles; sounds like a bad 80's outfit but instead it was Nicki Minaj's attire for the VMAs. Yet another skin tight body suit meant to make your eyes pop, which it definitely did.
It actually was not a terrible performance. But for anyone who has seen other live performances of Frank Ocean it was visible that nerves got the best of the R&B crooner. Although by the end of the song he seemed to relax more and finished off strong. Plus, the moon, campfire, and fake trees was an odd set up for such a great song.
Video of the year: Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris, "We Found Love."
Best female video: Nicki Minaj, "Starships."
Best male video & best choreography: Chris Brown, "Turn Up The Music."
Best hip-hop video: Drake featuring Lil Wayne, "HYFR."
Best direction: M.I.A. & best cinematography, "Bad Girls."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31