The 2012 VMAs were up against the Democratic National Convention and last year's memorable VMAs where Beyonce announced her pregnancy. Basically, they needed to do something big to compare to these two.
Rihanna opened the show with a sizzling performance packed with dancers and large balloons, Kevin Hart kept the evening light with funny jokes, and Lil' Wayne bizarrely crowd surfed. It definitely fell short of last year's show but here are some of the best and worst moments below.
Alicia Keys debuted her new single "Girl On Fire" and she definitely set the stage ablaze while inviting Olympic gold Medalist Gabby Douglas on stage while belting out over her classic piano play and hip-hop beats.
Most Surprising Moment
In very Beyonce-esque fashion, Amber Rose showed off her baby bump in a super-fitting black lace dress on the red carpet. Rumors have surrounded her pregnancy for months now but the blonde-bombshell has continuously denied the rumor, leaving her come out party for the VMAs. Congratulations Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose on the new baby!
Rihanna rocked bright red lips, a new pixie haircut, and a white Grecian-style dress that wowed everyone at the VMAs last night. She was simple but stunning, the opposite of our worst dressed winner.
Curly-Blonde wig, black sequence, mesh, and clear goggles; sounds like a bad 80's outfit but instead it was Nicki Minaj's attire for the VMAs. Yet another skin tight body suit meant to make your eyes pop, which it definitely did.
It actually was not a terrible performance. But for anyone who has seen other live performances of Frank Ocean it was visible that nerves got the best of the R&B crooner. Although by the end of the song he seemed to relax more and finished off strong. Plus, the moon, campfire, and fake trees was an odd set up for such a great song.
Video of the year: Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris, "We Found Love."
Best female video: Nicki Minaj, "Starships."
Best male video & best choreography: Chris Brown, "Turn Up The Music."
Best hip-hop video: Drake featuring Lil Wayne, "HYFR."
Best direction: M.I.A. & best cinematography, "Bad Girls."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30